Linux doesn't always recognize CD drive

Post by Leonard Even » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:45:18

My son has a dual boot machine running RH9 and Windows 98.  When we boot
directly into Linux after powering down, the kernel doesn't see the CD
drive.   But if I boot inot Windows first and then reboot, it does see
it.   The same thing happened with RH7.1.

I set the BIOS to boot from the CD, but it refused to do so, so I had to
use an installation diskette to start the installation.  However, it was
able to get to the CD to continue as normal and RH9 was installed.

It is of course possible there is something wrong in the BIOS or some
bizarre hardware issue.   Has anyone else seen anything like this
before?  Does anyone have any ideas of how I might fix it?

Post by zeljk » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:29:46

> My son has a dual boot machine running RH9 and Windows 98.  When we boot
> directly into Linux after powering down, the kernel doesn't see the CD
> drive.   But if I boot inot Windows first and then reboot, it does see
> it.   The same thing happened with RH7.1.

> I set the BIOS to boot from the CD, but it refused to do so, so I had to
> use an installation diskette to start the installation.  However, it was
> able to get to the CD to continue as normal and RH9 was installed.

> It is of course possible there is something wrong in the BIOS or some
> bizarre hardware issue.   Has anyone else seen anything like this
> before?  Does anyone have any ideas of how I might fix it?

yes...I've seen such problems...solution was to change cdrom device.
Linux has nothing with such problem...but it can point you to bad hw.

Post by mjt » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:24:00

> It is of course possible there is something wrong in the BIOS or some
> bizarre hardware issue.   Has anyone else seen anything like this
> before?  Does anyone have any ideas of how I might fix it?

... can you provide some machine stats? also, are you using
lilo or grub for your boot manager?

1. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

Symptom: Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during
installation.

Information: I have an early NEC 3x SCSI CD-ROM drive.  In normal DOS
booting, even my NCR53c810 SCSI controller doesn't recognize the
CD-ROM during SCSI BIOS polling.  Only after I run the DOS driver,
MSCDEX.EXE, does the CD-ROM get recognized.

Install Scenario: Single floppy and CD-ROM installation.  As per the
readme file on CD-ROM, I didn't use the three floppy installation.  My
boot image was boot0036.img, SCSI NCR53x810, No ethernet, CD-ROM SCSI.

Problem: When I boot from floppy, hit enter once at the boot: prompt
to initialize hardware, I get prompted to insert the ramdisk1.img and
ramdisk2.img floppies.  So I tried the three floppy install and got
to the partitioning section, neither fdisk or cfdisk found any drives.
When I did a media search, the RedHat CD-ROM could not be found.

Questions:
1) Is there a work-around to get RedHat installed from the CD-ROM?

2) Or do I have to copy the entire CD-ROM(s) to a harddrive?

3) It is not very clear in the install manual how to partition Linux.
Currently, I have 2 harddrives, one 540meg for DOS/Windows which is C:
drive; and one 2.1gig with a 2.1gig physical DOS partition but with a
1gig D: drive logical partition reserved for Linux and a 1gig E: drive
logical partition for DOS.  My question is; will Linux do it's own
partitioning of logical drive D: partition?  In other words, are Linux
partitions built on top of existing DOS partitions?  Or will Linux
destroy the other logical drive partition for DOS (drive E:) as well?

4) I have a OPTI-ISA/VLB/PCI MB with a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI controller.
I read a FAQ that said this MB was nothing but trouble.  Has anyone
got Linux installed on this MB successfully yet?

-gary

2. authentication within cgi instead of server (apache)

3. Linux 1.2.8 doesn't recognise Pioneer ATAPI CD-ROM drive

4. APACHE and startup

5. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

6. Chroot

7. Linux doesn't recognize my CD drive anymore

8. One DIP-script

9. Linux 1.2.1/slackware 2.2 doesn't recognize atapi cd-rom drive

10. linux doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive

11. RH 5.0 doesn't recognize IDE CD ROM drive

12. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

13. x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...