Non-Essential, Essential Applications ........

Non-Essential, Essential Applications ........

Post by mud3 » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 13:23:43

I'm looking for ideas on useful applications that I may be passing up.
The distribution that I set up came with sooo much, sooo many different
applications that I don't know exactly what they all do.

What apps do you find you cant live without?

ex. joe -- text editor
     pine -- email prog
     midnight commander -- like the old dosshell
     etc.

Post by bob » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 16:04:16

> I'm looking for ideas on useful applications that I may be passing up.
> The distribution that I set up came with sooo much, sooo many different
> applications that I don't know exactly what they all do.

> What apps do you find you cant live without?

> ex. joe -- text editor
>      pine -- email prog
>      midnight commander -- like the old dosshell
>      etc.

This is akin to asking directions of someone but not telling them where
you are now and where you want to go.  And don't leave out the religious
war aspect either.  What specifically do you want to do with your
computer?  If you're just curious about unknown programs, start 'em up
as see what they do.  Nearly all have help functions.
--
 Bob Scott
<Linux desktop user since 1998>

Post by Swif » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 18:58:57

>  I'm looking for ideas on useful applications that I may be passing up.
>  The distribution that I set up came with sooo much, sooo many different
>  applications that I don't know exactly what they all do.

>  What apps do you find you cant live without?

You mean the apps that we most frequently use?

If you want I can make a list, but you have to understand that some (if not
most) love the way tools interact with each other, how tools are literally
combined into a well-running machine.

For instance, you have the wonderfull world of e-mailing, which consists
(in my case) of
        - fetchmail     # retrieving mail from (multiple) servers
        - procmail      # filtering e-mail
        - mutt          # reading/writing e-mail
        - gpg           # signing e-mails cryptographically
        - postfix       # sending e-mails (also retrieving from fetchmail
                        # and delivering to procmail)

Every tool on itself doesn't do much (well, it does do much, but not
everything) but when inserted in this `chain' you have very functional and
extensible e-mailpossibilities.

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

1. Virtual Desktops Are Essential

XFree86 "allows" you to define a virtual desktop resolution larger than
your screen resolution. In the "Display" subsection of the XF86Config file (in
/etc/X11/ or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ in RH 5.1), the former is set by the
"Virtual" keyword and the latter by the "Modes" keyword. If more than
one Mode is specified, the user can switch between them using CTRL ALT KP+
and CTRL ALT KP-. If no Virtual size is specified, the server uses the
size of the largest Mode.  By leaving out the Virtual size specification
and having just one Mode (at a given color "Depth"), the Virtual desktop
is, thus, effectively disabled.

The question I wanted answered was: can I specify multiple Modes (that
I can hot-key between) & have them each appear on a screen of that size,
so that in *each case* there is no virtual desktop. I asked XFree86.org
if virtual desktops were essential (i.e., is there a fundamental reason
why I can't do this) and received the following response.

Seems quite reasonable....

Daren Stotler
http://w3.pppl.gov/~dstotler
Research Physicist
Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
MS 27
P. O. Box 451
Princeton, NJ 08543
609-243-2063

You can visit the home page of the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory at
http://www.pppl.gov

2. Stress Testing

3. "Essential System Administration" Update

4. smitty and timeout

5. RH5.0 Bare Essentials -> Zip Disk

6. Kickstart from within Linux?

7. HELP!!! Mandrake 7.0 on Gateway Essential

8. solaris 10 jumpstart server; how to check boot server?

9. networking essentials

10. ** LEGAL ** TV Descrambler Plans + Essential Report --> $5

11. Have you got AIX Essentials CD's?

12. Essential configuration files for Linux?

13. ? Is SWAP partition essential if you have > 16 meg memory?