Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux - HELP

Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux - HELP

Post by SQ » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I am trying and failing miserably to get somebody to help me figure out a way
to install Corel Linux on my Dell Inspiron 7500 which has Rage Mobility -P 8MB
card. Within a minute of Installation (immediately after hardware
determination) the installation GUI fails which makes it impossible to continue
installing Corel Linux. Can you help??? Thanks

Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux - HELP

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On 21 Feb 2000 04:13:46 GMT, SQJ

Quote:>card. Within a minute of Installation (immediately after hardware
>determination) the installation GUI fails
>which makes it impossible to continue
>installing Corel Linux. Can you help??? Thanks

Is there an option to install *without* the GUI?  You shouldn't need the
GUI to install a system, and you don't even need a GUI to do useful work.
IIRC, the Rage Mobility didn't become supported until Xfree86 3.3.6, while
Corel Linux shipped with Xfree86 3.3.5.  After the system is up, you can
follow the upgrade directions at one of the following sites to get Xfree86
3.3.6 installed, at which point you should be able to have a GUI running.

http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/RELNOTES.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mhgraham/UpgradeXfree.html

If that's too complicated, Mandrake 7.0 shipped with Xfree86 3.3.6 and
should work right out of the box.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows     \
There is no Darkness in Eternity\----\

Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux - HELP

Post by Bruce Schul » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying and failing miserably to get somebody to help me figure out a way
>to install Corel Linux on my Dell Inspiron 7500 which has Rage Mobility -P 8MB
>card. Within a minute of Installation (immediately after hardware
>determination) the installation GUI fails which makes it impossible to continue
>installing Corel Linux. Can you help??? Thanks

I'm not familier with the Corel version.  See if it can fall back to a
non-GUI install.

The ATI Rage Mobility card is supported in the latest version of
XFree86, ver. 3.3.6.

--
Bruce Schultz

1. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux -HELP

I am trying and failing miserably to get somebody to help me figure out a way
to install Corel Linux on my Dell Inspiron 7500 which has Rage Mobility -P 8MB
card. Within a minute of Installation (immediately after hardware
determination) the installation GUI fails which makes it impossible to continue
installing Corel Linux. Can you help??? Thanks

2. help on gcc...

3. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux - HELP

4. Free comprehensive web-based server vulnerability assessment!

5. Can Linux handle Dell Inspiron 7500 SXGA+ (1400x1050)?

6. freeware packages to /usr/local/ ?

7. ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...

8. permission denied

9. Red hat Linux 6.2 on Dell Inspiron 7500

10. newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

11. System Freeze: Dell Inspiron 7500

12. DELL inspiron 7500 650 YT ?

13. XF86Config for Dell Inspiron 7500?