good email client for Linux?

Post by lato.. » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.
Netscape mail only supports one POP3 account and
is slow.

Regards,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

good email client for Linux?

Post by Sam E. Trenhol » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

GUI mail clients for Linux:

kmail (comes with KDE)
xfmail

Command-line mail clients:

Elm
Pine
Mutt
Mailx

This is only a partial list.  You can look up email clients here:

        http://freshmeat.net

- Sam

--
Go to http://www.hoohahrecords.com/rap for information on the Bohemian RAP CD
Go to http://samiam.org/cgi-bin/mailme to get my email address

good email client for Linux?

Post by Lee Doola » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

    latompa> Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?  kmail
    latompa> sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.  Netscape mail only
    latompa> supports one POP3 account and is slow.

emacs gnus is all of those things

       No toll on the internet    There are paths of many kinds
       Whoever passes this gate   Will travel freely in the world
                      Snap to the possibilities

good email client for Linux?

Post by mwf » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

> kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.
> Netscape mail only supports one POP3 account and
> is slow.

Hmmm... well there's Spruce. It's speedy, has a pretty good filtering
tool, an excellent addressbook, and it's lighter than KMail. Supports
POP and IMAP...

Check out http://www.xtorshun.org/spruce/ for details.

MF

good email client for Linux?

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

> kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.
> Netscape mail only supports one POP3 account and
> is slow.

At the moment, I'm using mutt (http://www.mutt.org) for text-mode stuff
and xcmail (http://www.fsai.fh-trier.de/~schmitzj/Xclasses/XCmail/) for
GUI stuff. I'm not really satisfied with either of them (particularly
XCmail), but they seem the best I've tried for my purposes. Note that I'm
not using either for POP access; for that, I'm using fetchmail
(http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/index.html), which grabs mail from
POP, IMAP, or various other types of mail servers and dumps the mail into
the local Linux mail queue. Fetchmail can be configured to check mail
at regular intervals, or run manually.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux networking & multi-OS configuration

good email client for Linux?

Post by Bill Piet » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

> kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight. Netscape mail only supports
> one POP3 account and is slow.

> Regards,

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.

You might also take a look at Bynari Tradeclient. Current version is 0.2.0beta.

good email client for Linux?

Post by Peter » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

>Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

>kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.
>Netscape mail only supports one POP3 account and
>is slow.

>Regards,

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Keep an eye on www.kalliance.org, when their Magellan is finally up and
running, it should support just about everything Outlook Express does.

good email client for Linux?

Post by Michael Kell » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

>>Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

>Pine or elm. Your distribution probably came with at least one of these.

For an X GUI client you might also try xfmail.  It can be configured
to show you headers while the mail is still on the Pop server so you
can delete spam before downloading it.  The last time I used it the
editor wasn't the greatest, but it's okay for sending notes.  Don't
know about attachments.

For myself I'm getting by using Netscape 4.61 and using popcheck
from the command line.  Popcheck lets you check email headers
on the server so you can see who the mail is from and how big it
is, and delete msgs on the server if you like.  I tried to set up
xfmail on TurboLinux workstation 4.0 but I had version conflicts
with some X library it needs to make its widgets or something
so I gave up on it.

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx

good email client for Linux?

Post by Matt O'Tool » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

> Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

> kmail sucks. Staroffice is too heavyweight.
> Netscape mail only supports one POP3 account and
> is slow.

What "sucks" about Kmail?  There are a jillion email clients out there.  All
of them have their pluses and minuses.  The trick is to find one that does
what you need.  If you let us know why you don't like Kmail, just as you
told us specifically why you don't like the others, then we have something
to work with in giving you a recommendation.

Matt O.

good email client for Linux?

Post by apswart » Sun, 07 May 2000 04:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]

> Note that I'm
> not using either for POP access; for that, I'm using fetchmail
> (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/index.html), which grabs mail
from
> POP, IMAP, or various other types of mail servers and dumps the mail
into
> the local Linux mail queue. Fetchmail can be configured to check mail
> at regular intervals, or run manually.

Yes. I use Netscape for my email and I have fetchmail configured to dump
mail from my 4 pop accounts in my mailbox and gather my families email
and drop it in their mailboxes.

Fetchmail is the way to go regardless of which email program you choose
to use.

Post by Mario Saracen » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> >Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

Try CSCmail. it's probably the most complete GUI e-mail client for linux. Mutt for
text-only, or pine.

mario

good email client for Linux?

Post by Phillip Deack » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

>> >Can anyone recomend a good email client for Linux?

>Try CSCmail. it's probably the most complete GUI e-mail client for linux. Mutt for
>text-only, or pine.

Well, at the very least you will have a great amount of fun trying to
install it!! I have had a couple of year's experience of Linux, but gave
up with CSCMail. I followed the download instructions and ended up with
a directory under my home directory full of various folders I could
make head nor tail of. An appalling install routine. The very worst.

Maybe things have improved now? I hope so, because I would like to give
it a try.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000