Ack!! cpio restore command!!!

Post by Matt Stevenso » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I've been playing around with cpio to do some backups on directories.
Anyway, the problem is, I'm finding it REALLY hard to restore just ONE file
to somewhere.

Say I want to restore the file "mksysb.backup" from my test.cpio archive.
I've tried:

cpio -im "mksysb.backup" <test.cpio
cpio -im mksysb.backup <test.cpio
cpio -im `mksysb.backuo` <test.cpio

None of these work, but if I just let restore the whole archive, and give
errors on the "same or newer" files it finds, it'll restore it just fine, so
the

cpio -i <test.cpio

command works, but throws tons of messages on the screen, and it's certainly
not the right way to restore ONE file right??  What am I missing?

Thanks,

Matt Stevenson
PLEASE EMAIL REPLIES! :)

Ack!! cpio restore command!!!

Post by hymi » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Say I want to restore the file "mksysb.backup" from my test.cpio archive.
>I've tried:

>cpio -im "mksysb.backup" <test.cpio
>cpio -im mksysb.backup <test.cpio
>cpio -im `mksysb.backuo` <test.cpio

The name of the file you put on the command line has to *exactly* match
the name in the archive.

Try
cpio -itv
and look at the file names.  Maybe they have a leading ./ ? or maybe
they have a full path name of some sort?

..hymie!
http://www.smart.net/~hymowitz * agis customers: e-mail and web service refused

===== Unsolicited commercial e-mail spam will be forwarded to postmasters =====
I never see the sudden curve until it's way too late.  --Jim Steinman/Meat Loaf

1. Need help with command syntax for performing a remote cpio restore

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what to type to do the following:  I need to
restore a cpio archive from the tape device on machine A to a filesystem on
machine B.  I want to execute the command from machine B.  The cpio command
I would execute if doing this locally is

cpio -icduBv < /dev/rmt/1m

but instead I need to restore from a remote tape device.

Thanks,
-Bob

2. Multithreaded WaitForMultipleEvents in Linux!?

3. restore tape created with multiple cpio commands

4. Setup like dos batch file in Unix

5. cpio restore and owner of directories

6. 2.2.18 strange IPv4 Problem with DSL (pppox)

7. tar and cpio restore

8. networking broken, router crippled. HELP

9. Help - can't restore a folder with tar -xp or cpio -im!

10. CPIO restore to a different directory ? - Solaris 2.3

11. restore from cpio

12. Restoring OS3 cpio file to OS5 machine

13. cpio for Backup & Restore