OK Linux gurus: I upgraded from RH7.7.0 to RH7.2 and SoundStudio is broke....

OK Linux gurus: I upgraded from RH7.7.0 to RH7.2 and SoundStudio is broke....

Post by Root Knot » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 07:32:08

Howdy,

A sucessful upgrade frpm RH 7.0 to 7.2.....
No problem with SoundStudio with RH7.0.....
Now when I try to run ``studio'' I get some drive activity
but ``studio'' does not start.....

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance.

--JC

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 08:41:43

> Howdy,

> A sucessful upgrade frpm RH 7.0 to 7.2.....
> No problem with SoundStudio with RH7.0.....
> Now when I try to run ``studio'' I get some drive activity
> but ``studio'' does not start.....

> Any ideas?

Use strace to figure out where it fails:

    prompt$ strace studio

Erik

"He's a born-again Christian. The trouble is, he suffered brain
damage during rebirth."

1. Is gcc -shared = ld -d (something broke rh7.0 -> rh7.1)

Hi:

I inherited a script written originally for a sun, that created
a shared library (.so) using:

ld -dy -G objects*.o -o output.so

I had no reason to look at this, until we changed from redhat 7.0 to 7.1.

Then, linking against this .so would work, but when running the
program a message popped up saying it got an error loading
the dynamic library with an undefined symbol named "stat".
Even though ldd says that the dynamic library was statically linked.

Never seeing these linker options before, I can't even figure out
how this ever created a dynamic link library to begin with. The -dy
doesn't even show up in man ld (though there are other -d, -dc, etc. that claim
to be all the same option).

But, it worked!!!

Anyway, I changed it to

gcc -shared objects*.o -o output.so

and it worked.

But now I am puzzled. Can you actually create shared libraries
using a -d option? And what changed going from redhat 7.0 to 7.1,
the libraries are different, and I guess the gnu stuff too.

And, I tried to see what gcc -shared did, and all I could see was
that it seems to fork off something called collect2. Anyone know what
that is? What does the -shared map to inside the linker? And how does
it pass its options, I couldn't find out using ps.

Really curious.

thanks
eric

2. Mandrake update -22 broke system and gcc

3. Cannot receive mail after upgrading from RH7.0 to RH7.1

4. IBM Etherterminal

5. upgrade RH7.0 to RH7.1

6. Can I use LINUX with a BACKPACK - Tape streamer ?

7. Problem with GnuPG and KMail after RH7.1 to RH7.2 upgrade

8. PPP & nameserver probs...

9. RH7.0 -> RH7.1 upgrade kills networking

10. Script speedup after RH7.0 to RH7.2 upgrade

11. Upgrade from RH7.0 -> RH7.1 ... ?

12. upgrade to rh7.0 to rh7.1/Installer reboots

13. Upgrade: RH7.2-RH7.3