I am an idiot.

Post by Jeff Rig » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Forgive me for posting this, but I've looked EVERYWHERE and no one
seems to be able to give me a good answer.

I'm a web designer setting up a site on a LINUX system, which I have
only a basic knowledge of.  I'm installing a CGI script and cant get
it to work.  Here is the error message I get:

Method Not Allowed

The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL
/temp/cgi-bin/wesley.cgi.

I did the whole "chmod +x wesley.cgi" thing but it still wont work.
Do I have to do anything to the cgi-bin directory to allow
executions?  What else could cause this error?

-Rigo

I am an idiot.

Post by Allin Cottrel » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I'm a web designer setting up a site on a LINUX system, which I have
> only a basic knowledge of.  I'm installing a CGI script and cant get
> it to work.  Here is the error message I get:

> Method Not Allowed

> The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL
> /temp/cgi-bin/wesley.cgi.

Are you using the apache web server?  If so, look at the
*.conf files in (somewhere like) /usr/local/apache/etc
(e.g. httpd.conf).  These files, which are quite well
commented, control things like CGI execution.  It's not
enough to have the right mode on the files; the web server
must also be willing to permit the operation.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics