Trouble Installing RedHat 4.0

Post by Joshua William Outwater (Danger Mou » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hey, I have been having trouble installing RedHat 4.0 from the CD-Rom.
When I try Autoprobe it results in: Bad Argument to mount, Can not mount
/dev/sbpcd.  I'm not sure what's going on.  I have tried giving command line
paramaters such as sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster but receive the same result.
I have a SB16 (Not PnP) with a Multimedia Pc CD-Rom (All came in a boxed
set) hooked up to the Sound Card itself.  I was previously running
Slackware with no problems.  Does anyone know a fix to this???  Thanks.

Joshua Outwater

--
              Very funny Scotty now beam down my clothes.

1. RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

Hi all,

I had RedHat Linux 3.0.3 working just great and I then purchased
the "official" V 4.0 2 CD package and did an upgrade. Now I am running
into the following difficulties does anyone know what the problems
might be? RedHat is apparently so busy that I have yet to
get a response from my last query.

1. Logging in as root I can not start up X; if I log in as a non-root
   user X starts up without any problems. When I try to startx
   I get the following error:

    "/usr/X11R6/bin/init : file or directory not found"

and this error varies if I execute directly in the /usr/X11R6/bin
directory. My PATH does point to this directory. The error messages
are so varied that I can't recall the exact syntax for each error
and I am e-mailing from another machine (see item 3).

2. Emacs takes a very long time to start up.

3. Networking no longer operates. The old networking scripts I had
   written (ppp-on,etc.) no longer work as chat seems to be broken.
   When I run the script it essentially tells me that the -l option
   no longer works. However, the man page for chat says it is there.
   Possibly "new" version of chat as compared to man pages. Previously
   to test my networking I could use minicom, dial into my gateway
   and CTRL + A Q out and issue a pppd command and be connected to
   the network. Now the issuing the pppd command doesn't seem to
   connect me to the network; it just sits there.

   I also tried the Network Configurator and the modem initializes,
   dials up the network, I can hear it connecting and then as with
   pppd nothing else happens.

Thanks

2. SUN StorEdge 2G FC PCI adapters

3. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization

4. Does Netscape make Communicator 4.x for Linux1.2?

5. Trouble setting up an internet router with RedHat 4.0

6. diff output

7. still trouble with remote printing on redhat 4.0

8. Installing Red Heat Linux on 2nd Partition ?!

9. cron troubles after upgrading to RedHat 4.0

10. Trouble connect Redhat 4.0 with Cisco via PPP PAP authorization

11. RedHat "Official" 4.0 Troubles

12. Troubles with Adaptec 1542CP and RedHat 4.0

13. RedHat V 4.0 Troubles