Wanted: offline news-reader for Linux

Post by Alex Farr » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for an off-line news-reader for Linux that operates in a
similar way to Forte Agent on Windows.  It should allow me to download
the new headers for the selected groups, disconnect, select the
threads I want to read and then reconnect to download the articles.
This is a good way of reading articles in high volume groups where
only a small number of threads are of interest.

I've installed skim which operates in this way, but it's quite a basic
news-reader.  Are there any other offline readers for linux?

Alternatively, is it possible to coerce an on-line reader into
operating in the way I want?  Could an on-line reader be made to read
articles downloaded by some other program, such as skim?  Are there
patches for on-line readers to convert them into off-line readers?

Thanks
--
_________________________________ o _______________________________________
                                 (`._                 __--'/

Wanted: offline news-reader for Linux

Post by John Timme » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:00:24 GMT, Alex Farran

>I'm looking for an off-line news-reader for Linux that operates in a
>similar way to Forte Agent on Windows.  It should allow me to download
>the new headers for the selected groups, disconnect, select the
>threads I want to read and then reconnect to download the articles.
>This is a good way of reading articles in high volume groups where
>only a small number of threads are of interest.

>I've installed skim which operates in this way, but it's quite a basic
>news-reader.  Are there any other offline readers for linux?

>Alternatively, is it possible to coerce an on-line reader into
>operating in the way I want?  Could an on-line reader be made to read
>articles downloaded by some other program, such as skim?  Are there
>patches for on-line readers to convert them into off-line readers?

I've been using slrn for a while, and now it has a support app named
slrnpull, which is quite easy to set up, which will copy the newsgroups you
want, and however many you want, to your local machine, and then read the
groups offline (slrn --spool).  You can reply to articles while offline, and
these replies are spooled until you go back online, and then automatically
sent off when you run slrnpull again.  Its a fairly nice interface, and
under rxvt, for example, you can configure it to use the mouse; while under
console, you can only use keystroke commands.  Seems to be a keystoke for
anything you want to do.  I haven't worked on any macros yet, but there
seems to be support for this feature, and you'd prolly be able to do some
funky things with this too.

I don't think it can be configured to just click on some headers, and then
copy over just the articles associated with these headers, but I could be
wrong; slrnpull is pretty speedy though, and I can usually copy over a few
1000 articles in about 10 or so minutes (haven't really paid too much
attention, really).  I have noticed that my online time has gone down
considerably with slrn, and thus my montly connection bill is vastly reduced
:-)

--
Regards

Wanted: offline news-reader for Linux

Post by John Thomps » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm looking for an off-line news-reader for Linux that operates in a
>similar way to Forte Agent on Windows.  It should allow me to download
>the new headers for the selected groups, disconnect, select the
>threads I want to read and then reconnect to download the articles.
>This is a good way of reading articles in high volume groups where
>only a small number of threads are of interest.
>I've installed skim which operates in this way, but it's quite a basic
>news-reader.  Are there any other offline readers for linux?
>Alternatively, is it possible to coerce an on-line reader into
>operating in the way I want?  Could an on-line reader be made to read
>articles downloaded by some other program, such as skim?  Are there
>patches for on-line readers to convert them into off-line readers?

Sure.  Just run an nntp server on your linux box and use uucp or
equivalent to feed it from your ISP.  Then point the nntp client
newsreader of your choice to the loopback interface (IP address
127.0.0.1) and read offline to your heart's content.  Works fine
here with OS/2; shouldn't be any worse with linux.

Wanted: offline news-reader for Linux

Post by Alex Farra » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >Alternatively, is it possible to coerce an on-line reader into
> >operating in the way I want?  Could an on-line reader be made to read
> >articles downloaded by some other program, such as skim?  Are there
> >patches for on-line readers to convert them into off-line readers?

> Sure.  Just run an nntp server on your linux box and use uucp or
> equivalent to feed it from your ISP.  Then point the nntp client
> newsreader of your choice to the loopback interface (IP address
> 127.0.0.1) and read offline to your heart's content.  Works fine
> here with OS/2; shouldn't be any worse with linux.

But would this allow me to select individual articles for download?  I've now
downloaded peruser which is composed of a number of command line modules and
a gui linking them all together.  I could probably hack together my own
interface for just downloading the threads I'm interested in.  The problem is
putting the results in a form that can be read by on-line readers.  I suppose
what I want to do is put the downloaded articles in my local server's
database.  How do I do this?

In the meantime, peruser is ok, but the gui seems to have been designed for
use with a 21" monitor.  Everything is HUGE.

Alex

Post by Ray Auchterloun » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I'm looking for an off-line news-reader for Linux that operates in a
>similar way to Forte Agent on Windows.  It should allow me to download

I recall reading somewhere (not sure where) that (Free)Agent itself
may now run under Wine (anyone tested it under WABI ?).

[...]

Quote:>Alternatively, is it possible to coerce an on-line reader into
>operating in the way I want?  Could an on-line reader be made to read
>articles downloaded by some other program, such as skim?  Are there
>patches for on-line readers to convert them into off-line readers?

Any on-line reader becomes an off-line one if you add a local news
spool and (in some cases) a local nntp server, so you want to look at
installing inn or CNews or Leafnode etc. You can download selected
groups onto your local spool using eg. Slurp or Suck.

What this doesn't give you is the ability to select which articles to
download. It may be possible to select/download using Skim and then
read with something else, but Skim stores articles in its own format /
hierarchy, so you may have some work to do to get them into a "normal"
news spool (there may be a new version of Skim which does this ?).

Alternatively, there is a package called "obnews" (on ftp.demon.co.uk
in /pub/unix/news I think) which mirrors overview information from a
remote server (that's what off-line readers call "headers"), and
allows you to request articles for downloading using
"Slurp". Currently the only news reader which has support for obnews
is bnr, which is also on ftp.d.c.u - but if you don't like bnr as a
reader you can always use it just for article selection and read the
downloaded news with any other reader.

ray

--

Wanted: offline news-reader for Linux

Post by Tillmann Steinbreche » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

> > >Alternatively, is it possible to coerce an on-line reader into
> > >operating in the way I want?  Could an on-line reader be made to read
> > >articles downloaded by some other program, such as skim?  Are there
> > >patches for on-line readers to convert them into off-line readers?

> > Sure.  Just run an nntp server on your linux box and use uucp or
> > equivalent to feed it from your ISP.  Then point the nntp client
> > newsreader of your choice to the loopback interface (IP address
> > 127.0.0.1) and read offline to your heart's content.  Works fine
> > here with OS/2; shouldn't be any worse with linux.

> But would this allow me to select individual articles for download?

<snip>

No, unfortunately not. If you use INN to run your local nntp
site, you will probably use "suck" to retrieve the articles.
There is no interface to let you select single articles to
download; however, suck has a reasonably sophisticated kill
file mechanism.
Still, it would be cool if anybody could write a kewl
Motif (or other) X interface for suck.

regards,
Tillmann

--
 _____   ___ _____

  | | _ \__ \ | | _  Pager 0166-1-0050763   http://194.64.181.30/tst/
  |_|(_)|___/ |_|(_)   "Black holes are where God divided by zero."

Post by jbuch.. » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: > I'm looking for an off-line news-reader for Linux that operates in a
:       UUCP/SOUP with Emacs/Gnus ought to do the trick. And putting up
:       your own newsserver to your local harddrive is not so hard, it
:       could be an option.

If you decide to go this route and don't find INN or cnews to be to
your liking, you might want to look at pnews. It's a simple news
spooler that works with suck. I prefer to use it with diald and a cron
job so that my news spool is updated once an hour with no direct
intervention.

You can get pnews at:

http://www.iquest.net/~jbuchana/computer.html

=================== http://www.iquest.net/~jbuchana ======================
"As the screaming fire engine siren filled the air
 The evidence had vanished from my charred and smoking chair
 and what they found was just a statue standing where the statue got me
 high" -They Might Be Giants

Wanted: offline news-reader for Linux

Post by Alex Farra » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Alternatively, there is a package called "obnews" (on ftp.demon.co.uk
> in /pub/unix/news I think) which mirrors overview information from a
> remote server (that's what off-line readers call "headers"), and
> allows you to request articles for downloading using
> "Slurp". Currently the only news reader which has support for obnews
> is bnr, which is also on ftp.d.c.u - but if you don't like bnr as a
> reader you can always use it just for article selection and read the
> downloaded news with any other reader.

Thanks, that sounds like just what I'm looking for.

Alex

1. Off-line news reader for LInux ?

I'm looking for an off-line news reader for Linux. I've tried 'atp' (and
uqwk to create QWK packets on the remote host) but I'm not satisfied with it.
One solution is to run a DOS off-line reader via DOSemu, but I wouldn't like
to install DOSemu just to use one program. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kostis

--
Konstantinos Panagiotopoulos

2. large installations!?

3. Are there any offline news/mail readers for LINUX?

4. Fawn loves linux (the ferret linux user)

5. best text based offline news reader for linux?

6. 810

7. Newbie looking for good off-line news reader

8. Problem: System won't boot now

9. Offline News Reader

10. Off-Line News Reader?

11. Offline News Reader