console font changed between 1.2 & 2.0 ?

console font changed between 1.2 & 2.0 ?

Post by Alan Cur » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

After studying the docs for the utilities in kbd-0.91, I thought I'd
figured out how to make the console behave like I wanted it to. And under
1.2.13, it did. I use the font called default8x16, and with a name like
that, you wouldn't expect it to give me much trouble.

Under 1.2.13 I could use the ctrl-. (compose) key and it would give me the
expected results, for example, the key sequence

  ctrl-. a e

produced a squished ae character.

Now, with kernel 2.0.0, the same key sequence produces a mu character.
Further investigation reveals that the character being produced by the
keyboard really is a squished ae, or rather it's the same 8 bits that used
to look like an ae, but the console is printing it as a mu.

Furthermore, I've noticed that:

1. In the lat1-16.psf font, things work correctly now, whereas they didn't
before.
2. The lat1-16.psf font is ugly!

What has changed here? Is there a new version of kbd utils in the works,
with a default8x16 font that works under 2.0?

:
:   ctrl-. a e

: produced a squished ae character.

: Now, with kernel 2.0.0, the same key sequence produces a mu character.
: Further investigation reveals that the character being produced by the
: keyboard really is a squished ae, or rather it's the same 8 bits that used
: to look like an ae, but the console is printing it as a mu.

: Furthermore, I've noticed that:

: 1. In the lat1-16.psf font, things work correctly now, whereas they didn't
: before.
: 2. The lat1-16.psf font is ugly!

: What has changed here? Is there a new version of kbd utils in the works,
: with a default8x16 font that works under 2.0?

Well, I'm sorry that the changes are not invisible to the user, but
it was not me that made this kernel patch.  Roughly speaking, the
reason of the current behaviour is that some fonts include the mapping
glyphs <-> unicode value, and some don't.  For a font without unicode
information, you have to supply it yourself explicitly, for example
using "loadunimap".  You were warned in the Changes file for 2.0:

Console
=======

   Also, the console driver is now responsible for keeping track of
correspondence between character codes and glyph bitmaps.  If you
encounter problems, try `loadunimap def' to get back the default
correspondence.

Sooner or later there will be a kbd-0.92, but not this month.

1. changing GTK (1.2.x) default font

In trying to antialias gtk fonts, I have come up with the following
problem:

I can't get rid of the Helvetica font pervading every program's menus
etc.(expect xscreensavers' preferences). Choosing different font in
gnome control center doesn't help. It seemingly alters my .gtkrc where
it orders every widget to use that font, but that doesn't seem to have
any effect.

Problem is that the helvetica won't get antialiased, and it's also too
big to my tastes.

2. Paradox DB and Linux

3. QT-3.1.2 & XFree86-4.3 -> strange font

4. configuring mouse on redhat 6.2

5. How to change fonts size, and Netscape 2.0 key problem

6. Omit hd(1,a)/kernel ?

7. booter 1.2.9 && 1.2.9a not booting mklinux with vm on

8. Operation not supported on transport endpoint

9. GTK 1.2 & PGCC & EGCS

10. X 4.0.1 & Gnome 1.2 w/ E & Multihead

11. Change console font-family in RedHat 6.0

12. Which stable (1.2.xx) works with ppp2.2.0 ??

13. tripwire 1.2 and Linux 2.0.x