3 newbie Qs on partitioning a hard disk

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:48:53

> I'm in the process of partitioning the 40GB drive on a new laptop.

> How can I determine whether the BIOS supports EDD?

> I had hoped to use a simple partition scheme (basically / and swap),
> but in the Debian installation guide warns against partitions larger
> than 6GB if one intends to use ext2.

What counts is _why_ they make that warning.  Personally,
I've never seen it before.  Do they actually give their
reasons with the warning?

If they make that warning based solely on the basis of the
time it'll take to run fsck on the partition (which I
suspect is the reason)...well it's up to you to decide
whether or not you can live with that.

Post by Garglemonste » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:36:26

    >>> I had hoped to use a simple partition scheme (basically / and
    >>> swap), but in the Debian installation guide warns against
    >>> partitions larger than 6GB if one intends to use ext2.

    >> If they make that warning based solely on the basis of the time
    >> it'll take to run fsck on the partition (which I suspect is the
    >> reason)...well it's up to you to decide whether or not you can
    >> live with that.

    kj> To live with *what*, though?  How long does fsck take on a 10
    kj> GB partition on a Pentium 4 machine running at 2GHz?  10
    kj> minutes?  10 hours?  10 days?

who cares?  unless you have a good reason not to, why not just run
ext3 or reiserfs or xfs and bypass the whole issue... assuming, of
course, that that is the reason the debian folks advise against > 6gb
partition.

--

The PILLSBURY DOUGHBOY is CRYING for an END to BURT REYNOLDS movies!!

Post by Johan Kullsta » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:07:20

> I'm in the process of partitioning the 40GB drive on a new laptop.

> How can I determine whether the BIOS supports EDD?

> I had hoped to use a simple partition scheme (basically / and swap),
> but in the Debian installation guide warns against partitions larger
> than 6GB if one intends to use ext2.  Is this warning still current?
> (I want to avoid ext3 because it puts too high a demand on the
> battery.)

> Where can I find sample partitions for a situation similar to the one
> described above (40GB, single-user, laptop)?

I would recommend making four partitions

/, /boot, /home and <swap>

Put 10-20MB into /boot at the front of the disk.

Make <swap> something like 2x your RAM (hard disk isn't all that
expensive).

Chop the remainder into two equal sized pieces (roughly
20MB each) -- set those to / and /home.

This will let you keep /home and re-install the OS.  You can store
configs and miscellanous whatnots from / in your /home just before
wiping them out.

There was something about lilo not dealing well with large partitions
but i think those days are behind us.  In that case you can get rid of
the /boot business.  I am still using it out of tradition.

--

1. Qs on partitioning a hard disk

I'm in the process of partitioning the 40GB drive on a new laptop.

How can I determine whether the BIOS supports EDD?

I had hoped to use a simple partition scheme (basically / and swap),
but the Debian installation guide warns against partitions larger than
6GB if one intends to use ext2.  Is this warning still current?  (I
want to avoid ext3 because it puts too high a demand on the battery.)

If I generate partitions that add up to, say, 60% of the disk (leaving
the rest of the disk "unpartitioned"), and months later I decide to
make partitions on the remaining 40%, would this cause the data in the
original 60% of paritioned disk to be lost?

Where can I find sample partitions for a situation similar to the one
described above (40GB, single-user, laptop)?

Thanks,

kj

2. Raid 1 Issues

3. newbie question:hard disk partitions

4. What have I missed?

5. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

6. RedHet 5.2

7. Hard disk partitioning pb : Swap partition KO

8. Top Ten Signs That Linux Has Bill Gates Worried

9. Does Norton Speed Disk Utility's defragmentation mess up the linux hard disk partition?

10. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

11. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

12. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

13. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk