Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

Post by quigonj.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a Linux machine which is (unfortunately) trapped in a MS Windows NT
environment.  I need to forward e-mail from the Linux box to an Exchange
client (or SMTP), so it can be distributed to other users on the Windows net.

My question is this: what should the .forward file on the Linux machine look
like?  I tried many combinations, including my Exchange (Outlook) username--
both with a fully-qualified domain name and without; I tried a straight IP
address, I tried an external Internet address, and I tried several other
wacky guesses.  Nothing worked, and MS SMTP is just stuffing them into a
queue "for later delivery".  Hello?

There are plenty of posts in this group about doing things similar to this,
but I can't find any clear-cut answers... any help is appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

Post by Axel Scheeper » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You'll have to install sendmail or postfix for that, you can configure it to
send its mail through to a smtp server.
Actually I'running postfix since it got installed (boring reason) but it
works fin for me. All I had to do was to configured it properly for my ISP.
Gr,
Axel

Quote:> I have a Linux machine which is (unfortunately) trapped in a MS Windows NT

Post by Mihaly Gyula » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I need to forward e-mail from the Linux box to an Exchange
> client (or SMTP), ...

One requirement:
on the Exchange server the SMPT should be _Enabled_ for you!

Then you can send email with the 'sendmail' program
(or with 'postfix' or with 'exim', or whatever you can configure).

--
Mihaly Gyulai

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a Linux machine which is (unfortunately) trapped in a MS Windows NT
> environment.  I need to forward e-mail from the Linux box to an Exchange
> client (or SMTP), so it can be distributed to other users on the Windows net.

Exchange is such a lovely thing, isn't it?  So clean, so well
designed, so.. yeah, right.

Gaad I hate Exchange.  I actually did that as one of my electives
for my long dead MCSE and of course had to learn enough about it
to pass the damn test, so when I say I hate it, I mean I HATE it.
Passionately :-)

Anyway, a while back I had to configure an old UUCP mail system
to talk to Exchange, and worse, to let folks reply to it through
Exchange also.  Some of the things learned from that won't be
relevant to your needs, but parts of it will be, so I offer you
this: http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/exchange.html

--

SCO/Linux articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.pcunix.com

1. Problem sending smtp unix mail through MS Exchange server to outside

I'm having a problem getting sendmail mail to pass through our
Exchange gateway.   The message is originating on an intranet HP-UX
machine.

Exchange is rejecting the message from passing through to the internet with

I have a makeshift DNS server setup and the DNS has both a forward
and reverse DNS entry so I'm not sure why it isn't working?

Also I'm specifying the domain in the sendmail.cf of the machine.

Our domain doesn't have a MX entry could that be the problem?
Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Thank-you,

Tim

2. ifconfig yields "permission denied"

3. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

4. where to get video drivers 4 xwin?

5. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

6. Hi folks

7. Linux Exchange/MS Mail clients and servers

8. Device Drivers - IOCTL

9. mail client/server with MS Exchange

10. Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

11. Forwarding mail from sendmail to Exchange server

12. forward mail to my exchange server

13. Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail