Can Linux be booted under OS2's boot Manager?

Can Linux be booted under OS2's boot Manager?

Post by Jeff Tomi » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00



I thinking of taking the Linux plunge. I'm currently using OS2's boot
manager to boot OS2 or Win95. Can I install Linux under another
partition and be able to boot it with OS2's boot manager? If so, are
there any pointers I should know about?

thanks, Jeff

 
 
 

Can Linux be booted under OS2's boot Manager?

Post by Tim Ry » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00



>I thinking of taking the Linux plunge. I'm currently using OS2's boot
>manager to boot OS2 or Win95. Can I install Linux under another
>partition and be able to boot it with OS2's boot manager? If so, are
>there any pointers I should know about?

>thanks, Jeff


 I've been using Linux with OS/2's boot manager for quite a while now. It
 works great. The boot manager is the only part of OS/2 still on my system.
 If you put Linux on anything other that the first drive (mine is on the
 second), lilo will give you a warning, but it works fine. Be sure that you
 install lilo on the linux partition and NOT on the MBR.

 To use boot manager you do need to set up the partitions with OS/2's fdisk.
 create the linux partition, format it to FAT and then add it to the boot
 manager menu. You can then install Linux and format the drive for ext2.

 Good luck

 Tim

 
 
 

Can Linux be booted under OS2's boot Manager?

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00





>>I thinking of taking the Linux plunge. I'm currently using OS2's boot
>>manager to boot OS2 or Win95. Can I install Linux under another
>>partition and be able to boot it with OS2's boot manager? If so, are
>>there any pointers I should know about?

> I've been using Linux with OS/2's boot manager for quite a while now. It
> works great. The boot manager is the only part of OS/2 still on my system.
> If you put Linux on anything other that the first drive (mine is on the
> second), lilo will give you a warning, but it works fine.

This varies somewhat because of differing BIOSes.  Some BIOSes don't
support booting from anything but the first two physical disks.  Others
have no problem with it.  (My current Linux boot partition, as well as my
OS/2 boot partition, are on my third SCSI disk [I have no IDE/EIDE
drives].)  I've seen reports of problems with some systems booting from
anything past the second physical disk, though.

Quote:> Be sure that you
> install lilo on the linux partition and NOT on the MBR.

> To use boot manager you do need to set up the partitions with OS/2's fdisk.
> create the linux partition, format it to FAT and then add it to the boot
> manager menu. You can then install Linux and format the drive for ext2.

I think formatting it to HPFS will work, too, but it doesn't really
matter.  The point here is that there's a bug in OS/2's FDISK that
prevents it from adding a partition to Boot Manager unless OS/2 has
manipulated it.  This bug sometimes does and sometimes does not occur
(I've never encountered it myself, despite some deliberate attempts to
produce it, for instance; but I've seen enough reports about it that I
don't doubt it's real.)  When you install Linux, be sure to change the
partition type with Linux's fdisk.  I don't know how OS/2 (or DOS) would
react to an ext2 partition that's identified in the partition table as
being FAT (or HPFS).

--
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Rod Smith                                 Author of:               |

| http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~rodsmith   "OS/2 Soundcard Summary" |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Can Linux be booted under OS2's boot Manager?

Post by Rex Basha » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00


Yes.  Create the Linux native and swap partitions with the OS/2 boot
manager.
Add the Linux native to the boot manager menu.  Use the fdisk that comes
with
Linux to change the partition types to Linux native and Linux swap (I think
they
are 83 and 82 but the fdisk will show you the correct numbers).  After you
do
the Linux install, point the LILO at the Linux native partition, NOT THE
MBR.  Viola.  Ciao, Rex B.



> I thinking of taking the Linux plunge. I'm currently using OS2's boot
> manager to boot OS2 or Win95. Can I install Linux under another
> partition and be able to boot it with OS2's boot manager? If so, are
> there any pointers I should know about?

> thanks, Jeff


 
 
 

1. booting Linux with OS2 boot manager

Ok I spent about 2 hours tracking down the neceassry FAQ to setup Linux to
boot from OS2/2.1 boot manager.  Unforunately it didn't work.  This is what I
did:
        1. used OS2 fdisk to create the partitions for Linux and added the
partition for the file system to the bm
        2. formatted the partitions using OS2 HPFS
        3. booted Linux did mkswap and mke2fs and set the type ids on the
partitions
        4. installed Linux (SLS distribution-1.03? pl12?)

after I finished I tried to boot Linux from the boot manager and got a
partition not formatted error...

I remember a post from long ago (about 6months ago when I tried this the 1st
time) about having to install an original version of LILO and not the ver
that comes with SLS.  Please, someone, can you help me out here...Thanks!

2. wc shell command

3. How to Boot From OS2 Boot Manager

4. ZoomFaxModem14PC and Seyon !!! HELP

5. LILO problem with OS2's boot manager

6. fingerd modified for NIS enviroments

7. Linux won't boot from Boot Manager

8. Newbie Help

9. Booting Linux with Win2K's boot Manager?

10. Linux & OS2/Boot manager

11. Boot Manager diddler to change 'default' boot ?

12. Help with linux, dos, and os2 using lilo or os/2 boot manager.

13. Linux in OS2(OS/2) Boot Manager?