Dialing out with Linux

Post by Philip Washingto » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:26:29

Is there a way, or project that can be used on a linux system to make a
phone call.

I have written a script to send e-mail whenever a program triggers it,
but I would also like to trigger a phone call.  Possibly or also using
festival or another speech syntheziser to create a message.

Well I guess the outgoing message could also be a recording.  I would
just need to know how to send the message over the phone line.

Would also consider commercial applications.

Dialing out with Linux

Post by James Knot » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:56:42

> Is there a way, or project that can be used on a linux system to make a
> phone call.

> I have written a script to send e-mail whenever a program triggers it,
> but I would also like to trigger a phone call.  Possibly or also using
> festival or another speech syntheziser to create a message.

> Well I guess the outgoing message could also be a recording.  I would
> just need to know how to send the message over the phone line.

> Would also consider commercial applications.

Many cell phones can emulate a standard dial up modem for dialing.  Don't
know about the speech thing though.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

1. Preventing Dial outs.

   How do i prevent users of my Linux system from dialing out?
I have two modems connected to my linux box, users dial in
on /dev/ttyS1-S2. My two dial out lines are set as:

   0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     uucp       5,  65 Jun 18 12:24 /dev/cua1
   0 crw-rw-rw-   1 root     uucp       5,  66 Dec  1  1993 /dev/cua2

   Ideally, i would like to restrict the dialout to a group of users.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Keith.

2. Internal SCSI Zip-drive (Not detected)

3. Multiple dial OUTS & report on 3COM 3C905-TX ethernet

4. Clock

5. Permanent dial-outs with dynamic IP

6. Compuserve'Internet access & linux

7. Time-outs when loading Linux

8. pkgrecords.h (Debian)

9. Dial-up / Dial-In Linux Server to Windows Network for Mobile Users

10. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

11. Dial-in on Linux (NOTE: NOT DIAL OUT TO ISP)

12. Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem

13. Dial in to Linux box, then dial out