Using LILO & System Commander

Post by Dana Boo » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>It seems that both LILO (RH5.1) & System Commander Dlxe v4.01
>want to write to the Master Boot Record, which means if one comes
>up when booting ... the other one won't.  Seems there must be a
>way to select Linux at the SCD menu, and then be sent to the LILO
>prompt.  Thought I read somewhere that LILO has to be installed to
>the "root superblock" (partition boot record), rather than to the MBR
>in order to accomplish this. If this is the case, how would I go about
>it?  Please assume "newbie-speak" when responding, as I'm fairly
>new to Linux.

Hi, in the /etc/lilo.conf file, look to the 'boot=' line. A common example
would be for lilo to install on the mbr of a ide master drive on the primary
ide channel. In this case, that line would read:

boot=/dev/hda

However, let's say that you run SC at the mbr, and you want LILO to be
installed where the Linux root dir is, which is /dev/hda5. In that case,
edit /etc/lilo.conf to say:

boot=/dev/hda5

and then run /sbin/lilo, which will write LILO to hda5, and you can then
install SC to boot Linux at this partition.

I used to do the same thing with OS/2's Boot Manager, but now I just boot
everything from LILO.

--

---------------------------
Dana Booth <dana[at]oz.net>

Using LILO & System Commander

Post by Rob Thiel » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello Linux Folks,

It seems that both LILO (RH5.1) & System Commander Dlxe v4.01
want to write to the Master Boot Record, which means if one comes
up when booting ... the other one won't.  Seems there must be a
way to select Linux at the SCD menu, and then be sent to the LILO
prompt.  Thought I read somewhere that LILO has to be installed to
the "root superblock" (partition boot record), rather than to the MBR
in order to accomplish this. If this is the case, how would I go about
it?  Please assume "newbie-speak" when responding, as I'm fairly
new to Linux.

Will genuinely appreciate your response.

1. Using LILO & System Commander

Hello Linux Folks,

It seems that both LILO (RH5.1) & System Commander Dlxe v4.01
want to write to the Master Boot Record, which means if one comes
up when booting ... the other one won't.  Seems there must be a
way to select Linux at the SCD menu, and then be sent to the LILO
prompt.  Thought I read somewhere that LILO has to be installed to
the "root superblock" (partition boot record), rather than to the MBR
in order to accomplish this. If this is the case, how would I go about
it?  Please assume "newbie-speak" when responding, as I'm fairly
new to Linux.

Will genuinely appreciate your response.

2. LILO: Disk cylinder size is too big

3. Mouse does not work - help please!

4. Booting using lilo and system commander

5. Hard Disk Configuration when installing RedHat 5.1.

6. LILO w/& System Commander?

7. ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

8. LILO & System Commander woes

9. System Commander & LILO?

10. Solved: DualBoot NT4 & Solaris using System Commander

11. System Commander problems (was Re: Possible to boot freebsd from system commander?)

12. System Commander vs Boot Manager vs Lilo