Limiting user resources?

Post by Rick Roger » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Is there any easy way of limiting the amount of
resources available to a user or to a process?

For example, being able to tell a process that it
can use up to 80% of the cpu, or 80% of the total
available memory?

Regards,

Rick

Limiting user resources?

Post by Michael Or » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Is there any easy way of limiting the amount of
> resources available to a user or to a process?

> For example, being able to tell a process that it
> can use up to 80% of the cpu, or 80% of the total
> available memory?

> Regards,

> Rick

If you are using bash, the builtin command 'ulimit' will allow you to
set explicit limits.  I don't think there is any way to set relative
limits such as you ask.  The man page for bash documents the ulimit
command.

--
F. Michael Orr
Sr. Systems Engineer

Limiting user resources?

Post by Jeff Workm » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> Is there any easy way of limiting the amount of
>> resources available to a user or to a process?

>> For example, being able to tell a process that it
>> can use up to 80% of the cpu, or 80% of the total
>> available memory?

I have had good luck using the 'lshell' package available from sunsite.
it is basically a wrapper around the user's shell that sets hard limits
for these resources.

Jeff

1. How to limit user's resource in Linux

Hi All

I have read the document from potico.org site that I can limit numbers
process of user by defining the parameter in /etc/pam.d/limits.conf

But I have tried it and it doesn't work.

Anybody has skill to configure it ?

-------------------------
Feng Hong Ming

Web Page : http://www.benetz.com

2. 2ND TRY: no vc switching with pl13p

3. how to limit resources used by users?

4. Avoid 5.1.0.15

5. limiting resources to users

6. ifconfig -a hangs in solaris 9 under lot of tcp/ip traffic

7. Setting Resource limits/user

8. A good Linux VCD player?

9. User resource limits

10. Tru64 V5.1A user resource limits ...?

11. How to limit CPU and/or memory resources an individual user can use?

12. How to limit resources for user processes

13. User resource limits