Large EIDE drives and controllers Q!

Post by Jeffe » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 07:54:34

[ Article crossposted from aus.computers.linux ]
[ Author was Jeffery ]
[ Posted on 3 Feb 1995 23:10:51 GMT ]

  What I'm trying to discover is if a large EIDE drive will work in my
current setup.  I'm currently running 100MB (stacked) DOS/Windows and
130MB Linux with a smallish swap partition.  What I intend doing is
to buy a large EIDE drive, say ~700MB and devote it all to Linux and
OS/2, and let DOS reside on my original 200MB drive (unstacked)
My current controller is a VLB multi IO (read cheap) controller.

  First of all, i'm new to the world of EIDE.  I understand that these
drives exceed the 10bit (1024 cylinder) limit of the BIOSes, and therefore
tend to be a bit too clever for their own good. :)  (Perhaps its that the
BIOSes are a bit dumb, i'll let you decide that one)  I also know that for
the controllers of EIDE drives, there are specific controllers for DOS/
Windows etc.  Do these controllers simply allow 'enhanced optimal
performace' or do they actually make them 'work' ?

  Further to this, will they work with the setup I propose.  Another
question is which drive should I make master/slave.  I will have an
EIDE controller (with 16650AFN's joy!) and 1 IDE and 1 EIDE drive, which
should I have lilo sitting on ?  Both drives are Western Digital Drives.

  Any assistance, pointers, general exclamation that my questions were lame
ones would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Adam Bradley - Comp Sci Graduate            |
 Monash University - Clayton Campus         | This space left blank,
  Melbourne Victoria, 3192.                 |    intentionally!

--

Adam Bradley - Comp Sci Graduate            |
 Monash University - Clayton Campus         | This space left blank,
  Melbourne Victoria, 3192.                 |    intentionally!

1. Large EIDE drives and controllers Q!

[...]

2. 2.5.45: AIC7XXX_BUILD_FIRMWARE=y is broken

3. PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

4. WIN9X vs WINNT vs Linux

5. IBM changes benchmarks (again)

6. 2nd Controller EIDE - Large Dr

7. Help with SiS 530 chip set

8. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

9. Large EIDE drive installations

10. Old BIOS, Large EIDE Drive and setmax program

11. Large EIDE drives and Linux

12. Large EIDE Hard Drive