Proper use of .plan file?

Post by Dave Skolnic » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 22:35:16

I have seen references to .plan files. Is this a convention for keeping
notes & to-do lists or is there an application that manages a reminder
list?

Proper use of .plan file?

Post by Chris Rip » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 00:12:45

Quote:> I have seen references to .plan files. Is this a convention for keeping
> notes & to-do lists or is there an application that manages a reminder
> list?

Dave, the .plan file is mostly a holdover from the old days when you could

were up to.  Your .plan file shows up when somebody 'fingers' your acct.
It's just a text file you can put whatever you like into it.

Unless you've got your machine set up to where people can actually 'finger'
your account I wouldn't bother with it, as nobody will see it anyway.

Proper use of .plan file?

Post by Dave Skolnic » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 08:17:50

Chris,

Thanks for the answer. I have played with finger (and read the man page) and
understand. I can see where it might continue to be useful in an office even if
you don't let finger in through the firewall.

Regards, Dave

Proper use of .plan file?

Post by Quentin Christens » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 08:37:57

In comp.os.linux.misc, on 07 Sep 2000, Chris Ripp announced:

>Dave, the .plan file is mostly a holdover from the old days when you

>what they were up to.  Your .plan file shows up when somebody 'fingers'
>your acct. It's just a text file you can put whatever you like into it.

>Unless you've got your machine set up to where people can actually
>'finger' your account I wouldn't bother with it, as nobody will see it
>anyway.

It's one thing on my (new) linux box that is set up absolutely correctly:

I have no plan!

Even though no one can see it (except when I 'finger' myself) I coudn't think
of anything better to put in that file :)

Regards

Quentin.
--
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.

1. Using the file to verify type and add proper extensions

Now, the second script is in this format modifyXtension "dir1" "dir2" "dir" "..." "dirn".
Where modifyXtension is the name of the script and "dir1" "dir2" "dir3" etc. any number of existing directories inside the current directory.
For each directory, the script must verify (with the file command for example) each and every file type and if it finds one or more that is HTML or JPEG, it must add the .html and .jpg extensions respectively to them for many of these files do not have the right suffix. If the directories contain sub-directories I would also like to search them.

Here is the source code of the second script:
#!/bin/bash
echo Start > result
ftpe="html:jpeg "
Ext=".html:.jpg"

 for fi in `ls ./$dir`;do
  chf=1
    while [ $chf -le 8 ]
    do
      tpe=`echo $ftpe |cut -d: -f$chf`
      xts=`echo $Ext |cut -d: -f$chf`
      fls=`file -ib ./$dir/$fi | grep "$tpe"`
      test `echo $fls |wc -w` -gt 0 && cp ./$dir/$fi `echo ./$dir/$fi |sed "s/$xts//g"`$xts
      chf=`expr $chf + 1`
  done
done
done

The script seems to work somewhat but I am not satisfied with it. Maybe there is a better or more efficient way to write it + the directories that contain sub-directories are not being searched extensively.

As usual, any help is welcome.

---
Friedrich

2. Compression with redundancy?

3. Name pipe files and finger .plan files...

4. What does '. ./.myfile' do?

5. Role of Plans and Planning in Program Development

6. Umlaute in Tin

7. Is there a proper way to format a disk using mtools

8. Question about Email when moving from SunOS 5 to SunOS 5

9. Using Domain Name on LAN w/o Proper DNS

10. Plan to have Two Servers each attached to the same two 7133-D40 using 6230 adapters

11. Using CD-RW for backup, best plan?

12. Planning on using X-fig?

13. What are the proper tools/methods for dealing with core dump files...