4Mb S3Virge GX2 AGP problems with XFree86, Please Help me

Post by John Got » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>XFree86-S3V-3.3.2.3-18.i386.rpm

That's your problem right there.  You should be using the SVGA server for this
card.  This same problem happened to a friend of mine.

--

1. 4Mb S3Virge GX2 AGP problems with XFree86, Please Help me

XFree should come with a GUI configuration program called XF86Setup in ;

/usr/X11R6/bin

I think it depends on the X server XF86_VGA16, so install this as well as the
servers for XF86_S3V and XF86_SVGA. To setup X, try running XF86Setup as root
when you log in. Then go through the settings in each menu - try setting a max
resolution to use only (not a selection of different ones).

The package svgalib-1.2.13-5.i386.rpm is not used for X.

I've never used a package manager so I don't know the contents of the packages
but I would have ;

X33S3V.tgz
X33SVGA.tgz

X332VG16.tgz
X332bin.tgz
X332fnts.tgz
X332man.tgz
X332upd.tgz
X332doc.tgz
X332lib.tgz
X332set.tgz (contains XF86Ssetup)
postinst.sh
extract
preinst.sh

Hope that helps.

--

Alastair

2. Half-life Dedicated server.

3. Dosemu - does it require a separate partition?

4. Can't load root disk using SYSLINUX and 2.4.5 kernel

5. Need help with 4MB S3 Virge GX2 AGP video under linux and X.

6. Help with an error

7. S3Virge/GX2 Problem

8. Another S3Virge GX2 problem

9. Can't get Xfree86 for S3 86C357 (AGP) ViRGE GX2 above 800x600

10. Help on X with Cardex(S3 Virge GX2 4Mb)

11. How to configure X for nVidia 4MB AGP Graphics (xfree86)?