Corrupt Software Raid-1 drive(s)

Post by Jack Snodgras » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:01:30

I'm completely stumped.....

I have a Raid-1 mirrored set of drives.
/dev/md1 -> /dev/hda6 and /dev/hdc6.

I've used the 2.4.14 and 2.4.17 kernels with the same results.

I was running just fine for 6 months.
I started getting file system errors. Things like:

ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 3

I was also getting disk full messages on writes. Reads seemed to be
working ok, but writes were not always working.

I thought that maybe one of the software Raid-1 drives was going bad
and causing problems for the other drive. I ran a drive diagnostics
program and both drives tested good.

I've booted up with Tom's boot floppy so I don't have ANY of my
stuff running. I run
e2fsck -f -y /dev/hda6
and
e2fsck -f -y /dev/hdc6
and each time I run, it finds errors and corrects them. It NEVER doesn't
find any errors. The errors are always different... this is on BOTH drives.

So... if the drive diagnostics software says the drives are good.... why does
e2fsck -f -y /dev/hda6
and
e2fsck -f -y /dev/hdc6
show errors each time I run them?

Any ideas?

Thanks - jack

1. HPT370 RAID-1 or Software RAID-1, what's "best"?

What is "best" on Linux 2.4.X (with any appropriate patches) ?

HPT370 RAID-1 or Software RAID-1 ?

And if Software RAID-1 is best of these two, where is it most stable; on an
i815 chipset, a VIA chipset (686B) or on a promise controller?

I define "best" as:
* most stable
* least complex setup
* least hassle when something goes wrong

2. Linux alternative to MS-NetMeeting?

3. Software-RAID (RAID-1) with Mandrake 6.0

4. Ethernet 3c905b-tx with RedHat 5.2

5. raid,apm,ide, powers down too fast & corrupts raid

6. DOS attack

7. Software RAID-1 in system upgrade

8. Signal handling Question

9. Software RAID-1

10. RedHat 6.1 Software RAID-1 Degraded After Reboot

11. Software Raid 1 Drive Failure

12. RAID-1 software under Linux?

13. Software RAID-1 and Red Hat 7.3 Install-- incompatability?