boot parm for NO fb ?

boot parm for NO fb ?

Post by hugo vanwoerk » Thu, 09 May 2002 21:59:55



Is there a boot parm that can be used to say NOT to use frame buffers when booting?
Thanks.
 
 
 

boot parm for NO fb ?

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 10 May 2002 10:23:22


On 8 May 2002 05:59:55 -0700, hugo vanwoerkom staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> Is there a boot parm that can be used to say NOT to use frame buffers
> when booting?  Thanks.

LILO: linux vga=normal

The vga= parameter determines how large the consoles are, and whether
they use the framebuffer or not.  "normal" is 80x25, no framebuffer.
Small numbers are VESA text modes.  Numbers starting at 0x300 are
framebuffer modes.  Further documentation is available in
file:/usr/share/doc/packages/lilo/ and
file:/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt .

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

boot parm for NO fb ?

Post by hugo vanwoerk » Sat, 11 May 2002 00:35:08


I did that. Put in LILO vga=10 and use same linuz as with fb. He
starts in the vga mode but then flips to use FB as soon as the root
loads.


Quote:> On 8 May 2002 05:59:55 -0700, hugo vanwoerkom staggered into the Black
> Sun and said:
> > Is there a boot parm that can be used to say NOT to use frame buffers
> > when booting?  Thanks.

> LILO: linux vga=normal

> The vga= parameter determines how large the consoles are, and whether
> they use the framebuffer or not.  "normal" is 80x25, no framebuffer.
> Small numbers are VESA text modes.  Numbers starting at 0x300 are
> framebuffer modes.  Further documentation is available in
> file:/usr/share/doc/packages/lilo/ and
> file:/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt .

 
 
 

boot parm for NO fb ?

Post by Dances With Crow » Sat, 11 May 2002 09:40:34


On 9 May 2002 08:35:08 -0700, hugo vanwoerkom staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Please don't top-post.  Message rearranged to comply with standard
Usenet practice.

>> On 8 May 2002 05:59:55 -0700, hugo vanwoerkom staggered into the Black
>> Sun and said:


>>> Is there a boot parm that can be used to say NOT to use frame buffers
>>> when booting?

>> LILO: linux vga=normal
>> The vga= parameter determines how large the consoles are, and whether
>> they use the framebuffer or not.  "normal" is 80x25, no framebuffer.
>> Small numbers are VESA text modes.  Numbers starting at 0x300 are
>> framebuffer modes.
> I did that. Put in LILO vga=10 and use same linuz as with fb. He
> starts in the vga mode but then flips to use FB as soon as the root
> loads.

Who's "he"?  (In English, unlike many European languages, inanimate
objects always use the pronoun "it".  Careful, you might confuse
people.)

10?  Hmm.  Video cards typically support a small subset of the modes
available, so you do "vga=ask" to start with, then change that to
whatever you really want once you know what it is.

Which distro are you using, and have you compiled a kernel of your own,
or are you using the distro-supplied kernel?  SuSE's supplied kernel
does something strange with tty1, wraps a green border around the
actual text console and runs that as the framebuffer... other ttys are
"normal".  There is a way to turn that off with a kernel parameter, but
I can't remember what it is right now.  Or the /etc/init.d/boot script
is calling something (fbset?) that changes the video mode.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

boot parm for NO fb ?

Post by hugo vanwoerk » Sat, 11 May 2002 22:06:30



Quote:> Please don't top-post.  Message rearranged to comply with standard
> Usenet practice.

What's top-post?

Quote:> > I did that. Put in LILO vga=10 and use same linuz as with fb. He
> > starts in the vga mode but then flips to use FB as soon as the root
> > loads.

> Who's "he"?  (In English, unlike many European languages, inanimate
> objects always use the pronoun "it".  Careful, you might confuse
> people.)

The subject of the previous sentence: LILO. Whatever. The system.

Quote:

> 10?  Hmm.  Video cards typically support a small subset of the modes
> available, so you do "vga=ask" to start with, then change that to
> whatever you really want once you know what it is.

> Which distro are you using, and have you compiled a kernel of your own,

I've resolved the whole thing: new kernel same as the FB one but
without FB. I use Debian. Best Distro around. Thanks for your
attention.