Information in email headers

Post by Richard Stein » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I hope this isn't too off-topic.  I've always wondered why mail programs
>feel it is necessary to include in the mail header what operating system
>the user is running.  What is the point of this?

Adverti*t?

I know that some folks actively gather newsreader statistics from the
X-Newsreader header, but that wouldn't apply to most mailers.

Quote:>Why advertise to everyone in the world what version of Linux we are
>running??

I don't.  :-)

--

       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +
        WinNT4 + Win95 + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!

1. Custom Logs With Web App Specific Information That Is NON Cookie NON Header Information?

I have a quick question that any help in finding the answer would be
greatly appreciated.  I would like to be able to have my application
set specific information in an Apache Custom Log file.  Right now the
application is php driven.  Besides the standard apache type info with
page urls, execution time, etc. I'd like to be able to add entries for
things like category, site area, etc. that can't easily be determined
just from the url.  It looks like I could use the {Cookie} and
{Header} options.  However, that seems like a hack since I do not need
to actually send this information back to the client as a header or a
cookie.  I also imagine I might have problems with custom headers
going through firewalls.  I have looked at the {Note} function but
this seems to only work between modules and not down at the CGI level.
 If I need to submitt more information please let me know.

Thanks.
Scott Delap

2. You still there Mr. socket?

3. Email Problems: Null's before the header of emails

4. Changing sh:s path

5. Headers, Headers, whos got the Headers

6. FreeBSD 4.0 vs 3.4

7. Problem with biff sourcing mail file for header information

8. Trouble with kernel recompile

9. Q : What header file supplies processor/process/etc. information?

10. Apache Web Server: Hiding information in the headers

11. Problem with biff sourcing mail file for header information

12. Which headers to include for window information ?

13. Finding first 'header' of email/news