HELP - Can't boot the boot disk!

Post by col.. » Sun, 23 Apr 1995 04:00:00

After creating a boot disk with the 'rawrite' program I am unable to boot linux
from it to install it on my HD.  Actually it worked once but I was using the
wrong boot disk image for my system and since changing it to the correct one,
none of them work.  The disk just clicks away very noisily with no errors
being displayed at all.

System details : 486dx4-100, AMIWinBIOS, 20MB RAM, WD850MB EIDE HD,
SB16 with Sony cdu31a CD-ROM.
The Linux distribution is the new InfoMagic slackware v2.2 altho I have tried
v1.1 with the same result.

Thanks in advance for any help with this very frustrating problem.

Colin.

HELP - Can't boot the boot disk!

Post by col.. » Mon, 24 Apr 1995 04:00:00

[SNIP THE LOT]

Well I've fixed the problem...faulty drive ;-)...I couldn't even make DOS bootable
disks so this made me suspicious of the drive.

Colin.

1. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

 A couple of days ago, I installed the Slackware D-series that I had
downloaded and stored on a *DOS* partition on my Fujitsu 128MB m.o. scsi
drive (hooray!).

 At one point I was told that I was required to install the Linux kernel
if I wanted to use the C compiler, so I did.

 When there was no more software to install, I was asked (and I think
advised) to make a new boot disk, which I did.

 However, when I tried to 'reboot' using my new boot disk, I got a
"kernel panic" and a dead machine, so I punched the RESET button, but the
same thing happened: kernel panic.

 So, I tried booting with my old boot disk, which worked!

 Question: How come my old boot disk works but my supposedly new boot
disk doesn't?

 Followup: Is this something I should be concerned about or can I just
recycle that "new" boot disk?
--
  Bill Hogan

--
  Bill Hogan

2. Using Apple Laserwriter w/ Linux

3. Can't boot with rh5 boot disk please help

4. Cirrus PCMCIA - PROBLEM

5. slakware boot disk won't boot (help)

6. About barcode

7. Help: Can't boot-up from boot-disk after installation

8. Linux on a Windows 2000 network

9. BOOT DISK won't boot..help?!

10. Problem: 'boot failed' upon initial try of boot disk

11. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

12. Problem: 'Boot failed' upon initial try of boot disk.