Dial-in garbage on screen

Post by John Dav » Wed, 22 Mar 1995 21:33:49

I am able to dial-in fine to my system but am getting garbage on the screen at
some points. I am running kernel 1.1.94. My gettydefs entry looks like -

My inittab entry looks like -

d1:456:respawn:/sbin/uugetty -d /etc/uugetty.ttyS0 ttyS0 38400 vt100

My uugetty.ttyS0 file looks like -

ALTLOCK=cua0
ALTLINE=cua0
INITLINE=cua0
TIMEOUT=60
INIT="" \d+++\dAT\r OK\r\n ATH0\r OK\r\n ATM0\r OK\r\n AT\r OK\r\n
WAITFOR=RING
CONNECT="" ATA\r CONNECT\s\A
DELAY=1

I am using Practical Perepherial 14400 FXMT on both ends. Linux is setup on an
IBM PS/Valuepoint 486/33 and I'm dialing in with an old IBM AT and am using
Telix as my comm. program.

What happens is everything looks like it is working fine, but if you go into a
full-screen editor such as joe or pico, as you are typing along what you type
actually appears at random places on the screen. This doesn't happen all the
time. For instance, I'll be typing something in the middle of the screen and
all of a sudden it shifts a couple lines up and the the left for maybe 10
characters or so, then it comes back to normal. If you do a page up and then
back down the screen is correct again. It gets very annoying.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this problem? I use these same modems
and computers to dial to other services and never have this problem so I don't
think it is the modems or lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Information Systems Manager                 http://www.sips.state.nc.us/OSBM/
Office of State Budget and Management
116 W. Jones St.
Raleigh, N.C. 27603

1. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

I'm having trouble getting dial-outs to work when dial-ins are
enabled.  I can dial out on /dev/cua1 when getty isn't running
on /dev/ttyS1, but when getty is running I get a message that
the port I'm trying to dial-out on (/dev/cua1) is in use.  I
read the FAQs and everything seems to be set up right.  What
am I doing wrong?

[I'm running SLS 1.02 (0.99pl9).]
--
Eric Dittman                  Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  Not even my opinions.  I found them by the side of the road.

2. Can't write int to file

3. HELP!! Modem dial-in problem (garbage display)...

4. XF86Config for Compaq/NEC

5. Intel 845GL screen garbage instead of DM screen

6. lpr

7. dial ins

8. GUI 800x600 probs.

9. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

10. Setting up firewall for dial-ins: How?

11. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

12. Can't get dial-ins, anyone?

13. HELP WITH DIAL INS