Bogomips wrong?

Post by Birk breme » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

I have two computer systems, a AMD K6II 350 and a PIII 450
at /proc/cpuinfo the PIII shows only 110 and the K6II
has 699.6.
Can this numer be correct or is there a problem with linux
(suse 6.1) and a PIII. I also have the feeling that the PIII
IS slower than the other one

CU      Birk

Bogomips wrong?

Post by Arjen Kra » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I have two computer systems, a AMD K6II 350 and a PIII 450
> at /proc/cpuinfo the PIII shows only 110 and the K6II
> has 699.6.
> Can this numer be correct or is there a problem with linux
> (suse 6.1) and a PIII. I also have the feeling that the PIII
> IS slower than the other one

> CU      Birk

Your primary/internal cache on your PIII could be set to disabled. This
really slows your computer down.

To enable your primary/internal cache,  go to your BIOS setup, and
enable CPU internal cache.
On most BIOS's you may find this option in the BIOS feature setup
screen.

Save and Exit, and you will probable notice the difference right away
during the memory check and the boot up.

For more information see BogoMips-mini-howto. You would probably find it
in /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini.
Otherwise look at the LDP site or some Linux ftp sites.

Good Luck,

Arjen Krap

Bogomips wrong?

Post by Perry P » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Hi!

>I have two computer systems, a AMD K6II 350 and a PIII 450
>at /proc/cpuinfo the PIII shows only 110 and the K6II
>has 699.6.
>Can this numer be correct or is there a problem with linux
>(suse 6.1) and a PIII. I also have the feeling that the PIII
>IS slower than the other one

Your PIII may be slower, but Bogomips are no benchmark. That's why the
call 'em Bogomips.

Perry

--
Show the code....or hit the road.

Perry Piplani                www.open-systems.com

Bogomips wrong?

Post by Rob Brown-Baylis » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I have two computer systems, a AMD K6II 350 and a PIII 450
> at /proc/cpuinfo the PIII shows only 110 and the K6II
> has 699.6.
> Can this numer be correct or is there a problem with linux
> (suse 6.1) and a PIII. I also have the feeling that the PIII
> IS slower than the other one

> CU      Birk

Relax... Bogomips is short hand for bogus mips.  I also felt cheated
whrn my PII 300 showed less bogusmips than a friend p166... Until I read
the Howto, different processors are suposed to give different numbers,
it's only used to check that your CPU is working corectly, not an
example of who has the fastest machine.

Check the Howto, it's all explained

--

  Zoo Station
 --===<|>===--

Bogomips wrong?

Post by James Youn » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have two computer systems, a AMD K6II 350 and a PIII 450
> at /proc/cpuinfo the PIII shows only 110 and the K6II
> has 699.6.

The bogomips rating for the K6-2 is about right - the K6 family usually
achieves 2x the clock speed (in MHz) for the bogomips rating.  There's
something very wrong with the configuration for the PIII, however - the
PII/PIII score around 1x the clock speed (in MHz) so your machine should get
around 450 bogomips.  My PII-240, for instance, gets 239.8 bogomips.

Number one cause of a suspect bogomips rating is the processor cache.  Go
into your BIOS setup, and make sure that both the L1 and L2 caches are
enabled - in most Award BIOSes, cache options are found in the 'Chipset
Features' section.  Whilst you're there, make sure the main memory settings
are sensible.  If you're not familiar with fiddling with the BIOS, it may be
worth your while to use default settings - most Award BIOSes (I have no
recent experience of an AMI or Phoenix BIOS) have both a standard default
and a turbo default - go for the turbo default settings.  You won't get
absolutely optimal performance from these settings, but it'll be reasonable.

Number two cause of a suspect bogomips rating is that the processor is
clocked at the wrong speed.  What speed does the BIOS report when the
computer is first turned on?  It could be that the processor is set to a low
speed, or too high a speed.  Most PII/PIII/Celeron chips now are multiplier
locked, so the frequency multiplier must be right - if it isn't, the
motherboard will default back to a _VERY_ low speed - on my motherboard, it
defaults back to 133MHz if the multiplier is wrong.  The multiplier should
be 4.5x for a 450MHz PIII.  If your motherboard is jumperless, you should be
able to set this in the BIOS too - in fact, there should be a default setup
for a 450MHz PII/PIII, if the motherboard is fairly recent.  Otherwise,
you'll have to get out your motherboard manual and fiddle with the jumpers
on the motherboard.  :-(

We'll get to the bottom of this, don't you worry... :-)

HTH,
Marm

1. Wrong BogoMIPS on alpha

Your clock chip has gone bad.  This happens regularly
with the shitty chip they put in LX and SX systems.

r~
-

2. HELP: library and XCOFF

3. How are BogoMips Calculated (or how can the calculation go wrong)

4. Device Drivers and Libraries

5. BogoMips being reported wrong ??

6. Hello RS6000 model 250

7. Wrong BogoMIPS?

8. Dell GX1 video overscan in 7.3 - newbie

9. local serial printer prints at wrong baud rate or wrong # bits

10. Wrong major or minor number --but it's wrong

11. mount: wrong fs type,... What's wrong?

12. plip-link: wrong cable? wrong version?

13. BogoMIPS change?