Weird Login problem

Post by Zalek Blo » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 20:33:01

I have dual boot - Win98 and Linux RH7.1. I didn't touch Linux for
about month, and now when I boot Linux I am getting "Linux login:"
prompt in text mode. Does not matter what I enter, enterd data is
cleared and "Linux login:" appears again. I tried correct user-id,
incorrect user id - I am getting tyhe same response. No prompt about
password. Before this problem Linux what starting Login screen in
X-Windows (KDE).
Is there a way to interrupt boot sequence so at least I could get into
Linux and check some files before Login promopt?

Thanks,

Zalek

Weird Login problem

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:40:00

Quote:> Is there a way to interrupt boot sequence so at least I could get into
> Linux and check some files before Login promopt?

"linux single" at the lilo prompt.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.20: (152 of 532)
-> When government forces people to help their neighbors,
-> conscience atrophies. When people are free to choose
-> whether to help their neighbors or not, conscience is
-> strengthened.
-> - Jacob G. Hornberger

Weird Login problem

Post by ZalekBl.. » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:13:38

Quote:>I have dual boot - Win98 and Linux RH7.1. I didn't touch Linux for
>about month, and now when I boot Linux I am getting "Linux login:"
>prompt in text mode. Does not matter what I enter, enterd data is
>cleared and "Linux login:" appears again. I tried correct user-id,
>incorrect user id - I am getting tyhe same response. No prompt about
>password. Before this problem Linux what starting Login screen in
>X-Windows (KDE).
>Is there a way to interrupt boot sequence so at least I could get into
>Linux and check some files before Login promopt?

>Thanks,

>Zalek

Well, I succed to enter Linux using single-user boot, but what to do next? I wanted to
view a file /var/log/messages, but the file have more then 2000 lines and I don't have
"more" command, "cat" command showes only last 24 lines.
Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Zalek

Weird Login problem

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 02:08:22

Quote:> Well, I succed to enter Linux using single-user boot, but what to do next? I wanted to
> view a file /var/log/messages, but the file have more then 2000 lines and I don't have
> "more" command, "cat" command showes only last 24 lines.
> Any idea how to solve this problem?

I'm glad I finally found this post again.  I ran into your exact problem
when upgrading some packages on my machine at home.  Apparently, one of
my programs wiped out "/bin/login" - the same symptoms happened.  Do you
still have /bin/login?

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 0.20: (369 of 533)
-> The advice nearest to my heart and deepest in my convictions is
-> that the Union of the States be cherished and perpetuated.
-> - James Madison, President

Weird Login problem

Post by ZalekBl.. » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 20:09:44

Quote:>> Well, I succed to enter Linux using single-user boot, but what to do next? I wanted to
>> view a file /var/log/messages, but the file have more then 2000 lines and I don't have
>> "more" command, "cat" command showes only last 24 lines.
>> Any idea how to solve this problem?

>I'm glad I finally found this post again.  I ran into your exact problem
>when upgrading some packages on my machine at home.  Apparently, one of
>my programs wiped out "/bin/login" - the same symptoms happened.  Do you
>still have /bin/login?

No, I have a /bin directory,but no /bin/login file. How can I get this file back? How did
you fix this problem? Do you think upgrading to RH 7.2 will fix this problem?

Zalek

Weird Login problem

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 02:50:35

Quote:> No, I have a /bin directory,but no /bin/login file. How can I get this file back? How did
> you fix this problem? Do you think upgrading to RH 7.2 will fix this problem?

AWESOME!  Glad to have run into the same problem you did.  Go to:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

And download: util-linux-2.10s-12.i386.rpm

Then run, "rpm -Uvh --force util-linux-2.10s-12.i386.rpm"

This will restore your original util-linux package.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (388 of 533)
-> One man with courage is a majority.
-> - Andrew Jackson

Weird Login problem

Post by ZalekBl.. » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 12:25:57

>> No, I have a /bin directory,but no /bin/login file. How can I get this
>> file back? How did you fix this problem? Do you think upgrading to RH
>> 7.2 will fix this problem?

> AWESOME!  Glad to have run into the same problem you did.  Go to:

> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

> And download: util-linux-2.10s-12.i386.rpm

> Then run, "rpm -Uvh --force util-linux-2.10s-12.i386.rpm"

> This will restore your original util-linux package.

Thanks a lot,

It work!!!

Zalek

Weird Login problem

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 02:52:14

Quote:> Thanks a lot,

> It work!!!

Excellent - glad to be of some assistance.

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (352 of 533)
-> When a man wants to * a tiger, it's called sport; when the
-> tiger wants to * him it's called ferocity.
-> - George Bernard Shaw

1. Very weird login problem

Hello!
I am ruinning a redhat linux server with 2.2.14 kernel and ip_masq.
I had it running for 5 months now, without a hitch.. Until now..
When i try to log in at the console or via telnet, it says login incorect.
So i thought passwords were messed up..
But when in log into linuxconf or FTP, the passwords work ok.
So what is going on? It is realy anoying me, cause I CAN'T LOG IN TO MY OWN
BOX!

Plz help? What am i looking for? suggestions?

I'd hate to have to reinstall it.. grr
Thanks..
Niels

2. Solaris doors mechanism/API

3. Weird Login Problem

4. Network connection diagnostics

5. weird login problem

6. xtank on linux?

7. fix for weird login problem

8. Anybody considering Linux should read this.

9. weird login problem

10. REDHAT 5.0+Triteal CDE--->>weird login problem

11. Weird login problem

12. WEIRD login problem

13. Very weird login problem