Linux partition from Win95

Post by mister.. » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello:

I just bought a new computer which has Win95 pre-installed.
At this point, the entire hard drive is dedicated to Win95.  I
would like to install Linux.  Installing Linux seems straight forward,
with the exception of creating a partition from within Win95.  Does
anyone know how to partition the drive in a non-destructive way from
within Win95, or do I need the Win95 diskettes?  In other words, is
there a way to partition a Win95 drive without having the Win95 diskettes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux partition from Win95

Post by Mr. S » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Hello:

>I just bought a new computer which has Win95 pre-installed.
>At this point, the entire hard drive is dedicated to Win95.  I
>would like to install Linux.  Installing Linux seems straight forward,
>with the exception of creating a partition from within Win95.  Does
>anyone know how to partition the drive in a non-destructive way from
>within Win95, or do I need the Win95 diskettes?  In other words, is
>there a way to partition a Win95 drive without having the Win95 diskettes?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You cannot repartition the drive in this way using only the tools that ship
with Win95.

However, there are a number of third party utilities that will let you resize
existing disk partitions.  I've used a program called "Partition Magic" to
succesfully trim down the size of existing Win95 partitions, without losing
data, in order to install Linux in the newly-freed space.

All you need to do is to reduce the size of the Win95 partitions.  Linux
version of fdisk will be used to create Linux partitions.

One word of warning, though.  ***PUT ALL YOUR LINUX PARTITIONS AFTER WIN95
PARTITIONS*** on the hard drive.  If your free space is sandwiched between
existing Win95 partitions, Linux fdisk will be able to partition the free
space for Linux, however, the resulting disk partition table will cause the
Win95 version of fdisk to hang, or *out completely.  Win95 will still
boot, and run, just fine, but any attempt to twiddle the partition from Win95
will lock the system up.  It took me three frigging hours to unscramble my
partition table enough in order to make it readable by all OSes.

P.S.  You might as well take this opportunity to learn how to reinstall Win95.
Trust me, you'll need to have such an experience at some point in the future!

--
Sam Varshavchik  (E-mail address is mrsam "at" geocities.com, to avoid
                  being spammed )

Linux partition from Win95

Post by Evan Jeffr » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Hello:
:
: I just bought a new computer which has Win95 pre-installed.
: At this point, the entire hard drive is dedicated to Win95.  I
: would like to install Linux.  Installing Linux seems straight forward,
: with the exception of creating a partition from within Win95.  Does
: anyone know how to partition the drive in a non-destructive way from
: within Win95, or do I need the Win95 diskettes?  In other words, is
: there a way to partition a Win95 drive without having the Win95 diskettes?

Well, if you defrag the drive and use "fips.exe" you can shrink your win95
partition down, though I am nervous about anthing which alters an entire
partition--it is recommended to do a backup first.  If you don't mind re-
installing win95 if something goes wrong, don't worry about it.  A program
called partition magic does some nice work, it can shrink, grow, and move
partitions, and also works on HPFS.

Evan Jeffrey

Linux partition from Win95

Post by zizi zha » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> You cannot repartition the drive in this way using only the tools that ship
> with Win95.

> However, there are a number of third party utilities that will let you resize
> existing disk partitions.  I've used a program called "Partition Magic" to
> succesfully trim down the size of existing Win95 partitions, without losing
> data, in order to install Linux in the newly-freed space.

I also want to make linux share a disk with win95. I have "partition
magic"!
However, I have winnt on D:\ with win95 C:\. If I install linux on C:\,
what
would happen to D:\?  (both C:\ and D:\ are in fat16/32 format.)

And, whose boot manager, winnt or linux, would show up when I reboot the
system?

Thanks in advance,

ZiZi

ps: I need keep win95 because my NEC 660i laser printer doesn't have NT
driver.

Linux partition from Win95

Post by Mr. S » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> You cannot repartition the drive in this way using only the tools that ship
>> with Win95.

>> However, there are a number of third party utilities that will let you resize
>> existing disk partitions.  I've used a program called "Partition Magic" to
>> succesfully trim down the size of existing Win95 partitions, without losing
>> data, in order to install Linux in the newly-freed space.

>I also want to make linux share a disk with win95. I have "partition
>magic"!
>However, I have winnt on D:\ with win95 C:\. If I install linux on C:\,
>what
>would happen to D:\?  (both C:\ and D:\ are in fat16/32 format.)

>And, whose boot manager, winnt or linux, would show up when I reboot the
>system?

>Thanks in advance,

>ZiZi

>ps: I need keep win95 because my NEC 660i laser printer doesn't have NT
>driver.

If you truncate Win95 partitions on C:, and use the additional space for Linux
(that's how I interpret your question), Linux partitions will be completely
invisible to Windoze.

Although LILO, the Linux boot manager, is capable of booting Win95, I don't
know if it can boot NT.  Therefore, I suggest that you keep the NT boot
manager on the hard drive, and create a couple of Linux boot floppies (so you
have some to spare in case one of them goes bad) to boot Linux.  You can
install the Linux boot manager onto a floppy, and whenever you want to boot
Linux, just stick in the floppy long enough for the boot manager to load (and
it will then proceed to load Linux off the hard drive).

--

Post by Chris Gushu » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hello:

> I just bought a new computer which has Win95 pre-installed.
> At this point, the entire hard drive is dedicated to Win95.  I
> would like to install Linux.  Installing Linux seems straight forward,
> with the exception of creating a partition from within Win95.  Does
> anyone know how to partition the drive in a non-destructive way from
> within Win95, or do I need the Win95 diskettes?  In other words, is
> there a way to partition a Win95 drive without having the Win95 diskettes?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can use the utility FIPS, available on any Slackware FTP site or
CD-ROM in the install/ directory, which is a non-destructive partitioning
utility (resizes your DOS(Win95) partition without losing
data...hopefully), or get the Partition Magic program, another
non-destructive partitioning utility.

--

http://www.geocities.com/+seymour/

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the
Borg."

Linux partition from Win95

Post by Yun » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>If you truncate Win95 partitions on C:, and use the additional space for Linux
>(that's how I interpret your question), Linux partitions will be completely
>invisible to Windoze.

>Although LILO, the Linux boot manager, is capable of booting Win95, I don't
>know if it can boot NT.

It sure can.

Quote:>Therefore, I suggest that you keep the NT boot
>manager on the hard drive, and create a couple of Linux boot floppies (so you
>have some to spare in case one of them goes bad) to boot Linux.  You can
>install the Linux boot manager onto a floppy, and whenever you want to boot
>Linux, just stick in the floppy long enough for the boot manager to load (and
>it will then proceed to load Linux off the hard drive).

No need for the floppies, you can boot everything from lilo.  I have
Linux, 95, NT, and Solaris on a PC with 2 hard drives and use lilo to
boot all of them.  Isn't lilo great?  The only thing that can*
you up is once in a while Windoze 95 crashes so badly that a reinstall
is required, then you got to reinstall NT and lilo coz 95 setup wipes
out everything in the MBR, but believe me, reinstalling lilo is much
easier than reinstalling win95, despite the latter's claimed PnP
capability.  But after it happens a few times, you get used to it and
get to know the recovery routine, and accept it as the way of life.

Yun
--

Dept. of Comp. Sci., Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

1. reading linux partition under win95

Hi all,

I once had this wonderful VXD which allows me to access (read-only) my
linux partition from win95. Does anyone know where I can download this
from?

Thanks.

--
Victor H. Leung

PGP Public Key Block can be found on keyservers and my website.
"If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done."

2. Initial Values for stty

3. Accessing the Linux partition from Win95

4. Netrtrek Server Experiment

5. Accessing Linux partition from Win95

6. have you compiled c++ in kernel??

7. Mount Linux Partitions in WIN95

8. logging denied services

9. How can I access a Linux Partition from Win95 ???

10. How to read Linux partition from Win95?

11. mounting linux partitions in win95

12. Linux partition under Win95

13. Mounting Linux Partitions under Win95?