New to Linux - COMPAQ Prosignia - PANIC installing Linux Red Hat 5.0

New to Linux - COMPAQ Prosignia - PANIC installing Linux Red Hat 5.0

Post by <fremu.. » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi all !
I have a hard hardware problem.
On my Compaq Prosignia server I have the following hardware configuration:
Compaq Fast Wide SCSI-2 embedded controller
Adaptec 1520B ISA/EISA controller
1 hard-disks 2.01 GB attached to Adaptec controller
Compaq SCSI CD-ROM attached to Adaptec controller
Because Compaq controller doesn't recognise HD greater than 1.05 GB I have
had to install the system with the HD attached to the Adaptec controller. I
have succesfully installed Linux but the system doesn't boot.
Unfortunately I haven't any Compaq compatible .CFG file for configuring
Adaptec controller into Compaq BIOS and it seems that this may be the cause
why Linux doesn't boot. Before beginning  installation I added the Adaptec
controller manually creating a .CFG file through System Configuration but
there is no option in Compaq System Configuration to make it as "First".
This option is available for the Compaq integrated controller which I made
it "Second". So, after installing Linux I have had to move the HD back on
the Compaq controller to make it boot. And even if now Linux can boot when
it tries to mount the root FS it looks for aha152x adapter and displays a
PANIC message:
/* beginning of messages */
VFS:Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
/lib/aha152x.o: symbol for parameter not found
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01

How can I deal with this problem ?
How can I make the HD bootable using this configuraton ?
Is there possible to install using the Compaq controller wtih both devices
(HD+CD)?

If somebody can help me I would great appreciate it. It's so urgent !
Thanks in advance.
Viorel Tabara

1. New to Linux - COMPAQ Prosignia - PANIC installing Linux Red Hat 5.0

[...]

2. How to see the system hardware infomation?

3. Using GUI with Editor

4. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

5. The Linux Library Issue

6. Can't install Red Hat 7.1 on a compaq Prosignia 300 24M

7. Help: RH 5.1/Intel EtherExpress Pro 10+

8. Cannot install Red Hat Linux Library on RH Linux 5.0

9. ProSignia VS: NCR 53c710 : Red Hat 5.0 : Is ANYBODY running this?

10. New To Red Hat Linux 5.0

11. Setting up Red Hat 5.0 Linux on a new PC

12. red hat linux 9 panic during install on walmart $200 machine