Can't get my modem to dial out in Mandrake Linux

Can't get my modem to dial out in Mandrake Linux

Post by Quak Yew Cho » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:21:34

Dear all,

I am a newbie to the Linux Operating System.  I have just installed
the operating system, and almost everything works, but I have one
problem, that is I can't dial out from Linux.  I am using a 56k
internal modem, and when I tried to dial out, they gave me an error
stating that the modem is busy.  I have tried to query using the
command :

echo "ATDT\n" >/dev/modem

but I received no response.  I have also tried to query the port, as I
am using Com3 for the port, but no response either.  Please advice.

Regards
Yew Chong

Can't get my modem to dial out in Mandrake Linux

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 10:42:10

Quote:> Dear all,

> I am a newbie to the Linux Operating System.  I have just installed
> the operating system, and almost everything works, but I have one
> problem, that is I can't dial out from Linux.  I am using a 56k
> internal modem, and when I tried to dial out, they gave me an error
> stating that the modem is busy.  I have tried to query using the
> command :

> echo "ATDT\n" >/dev/modem

> but I received no response.  I have also tried to query the port, as I
> am using Com3 for the port, but no response either.  Please advice.

See what /var/log/messages shows for serial ports (does it show ttyS02
with 16550A UART?).  If it is shown, then try to connect minicom to
/dev/ttyS2 (which is Com3) and see if you get any response to AT commands.

If it is a PnP modem you may need to set something up with isapnp.conf.
If it is a PCI modem see what 'lspci -v' shows for it.  On a fairly new
box, chances are it is a controllerless modem, in which case
http://www.linmodems.org/ might be able to help.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

1. Can ISP detect when dial-ins are 'overloaded' ?

Is this really SO difficult to understand !?!
If you don't realise that internet communication via dialup
[and also not via dialup] entails a series of traffic flows,
consider the following analogy.

You plan to make a pysical journey thus:
1. collect your documents.
2. lock the house.
3. walk to the bus stop.
4. board the bus
5. walk from the bus to your destination.

If there's a bus 'strike' causing busses to be much
delayed, and you KNOW of such then you can make an
intelligent decision to re-schedule your journey to another
day/time.

Similarly the ISP's system knows that congestion is
causing an extra wait  before the client is PAP-confirmed.
And by feeding back a telco engaged signal to before
receiving modem will save their client the futile telco
connect cost.

Similarly if you KNOW that there will be a long
queue/wait at a facility, you can intelligently decide to
NOT start your 'journey' and rather 'try another time'.
But NOT if the 'signal' is not fed back from the
over-loaded facility to the client.

2. cvs checkout problem

3. Galaxy ?

4. More page outs than page ins?

5. A-bomb game web-site

6. Unix Libraries Ins/Outs

7. MWM and Cirrus Display

8. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

9. getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

10. Can't get dial-ins, anyone?

11. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

12. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??