Disable screen blanking in redhat 7.3

Post by Vitaliy Merkul » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:54:22

I have two servers that are running RedHat7.3 on them and I want to
shut off the feature that turns my monitor off after about 15 min. I
disabled the bios setting for power management. and I unintalled rpm
apmd and I also tried the xset s off commend and nothing worked. My
servers are still shutting off the desplay after about 15 min. Can
someone help me with this problem. It is driving me crazy because I'm
running snort on them and I need to allways see what is going on in my
network. Thank you.
Vitaliy M
Holyoke Hospital

Post by morde » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:30:42

> I have two servers that are running RedHat7.3 on them and I want to
> shut off the feature that turns my monitor off after about 15 min. I
> disabled the bios setting for power management. and I unintalled rpm
> apmd and I also tried the xset s off commend and nothing worked. My
> servers are still shutting off the desplay after about 15 min. Can
> someone help me with this problem. It is driving me crazy because I'm
> running snort on them and I need to allways see what is going on in my
> network. Thank you.
> Vitaliy M
> Holyoke Hospital

Maybe
xset -dpms
will work?

I have the opposite problem with RH6.2 neutered to run no KDE.

Disable screen blanking in redhat 7.3

Post by Bill Marcu » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:20:48

On 30 Jun 2003 06:54:22 -0700, Vitaliy Merkulov

> I have two servers that are running RedHat7.3 on them and I want to
> shut off the feature that turns my monitor off after about 15 min. I
> disabled the bios setting for power management. and I unintalled rpm
> apmd and I also tried the xset s off commend and nothing worked. My
> servers are still shutting off the desplay after about 15 min. Can
> someone help me with this problem. It is driving me crazy because I'm
> running snort on them and I need to allways see what is going on in my
> network. Thank you.
> Vitaliy M
> Holyoke Hospital

xset -dpms
setterm -blank 0

--
It is often the case that the man who can't tell a lie thinks he is the best
judge of one.

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:36:31

]On 30 Jun 2003 06:54:22 -0700, Vitaliy Merkulov
]> I have two servers that are running RedHat7.3 on them and I want to
]> shut off the feature that turns my monitor off after about 15 min. I
]> disabled the bios setting for power management. and I unintalled rpm
]> apmd and I also tried the xset s off commend and nothing worked. My
]> servers are still shutting off the desplay after about 15 min. Can
]> someone help me with this problem. It is driving me crazy because I'm
]> running snort on them and I need to allways see what is going on in my
]> network. Thank you.

Are you running kde?
try kdesetup->LookNFeel->Screensaver.

Post by Vilmos Sot » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:36:43

>]On 30 Jun 2003 06:54:22 -0700, Vitaliy Merkulov

>]> I have two servers that are running RedHat7.3 on them and I want to
>]> shut off the feature that turns my monitor off after about 15 min. I
>]> disabled the bios setting for power management. and I unintalled rpm
>]> apmd and I also tried the xset s off commend and nothing worked. My
>]> servers are still shutting off the desplay after about 15 min. Can
>]> someone help me with this problem. It is driving me crazy because I'm
>]> running snort on them and I need to allways see what is going on in my
>]> network. Thank you.

> Are you running kde?
> try kdesetup->LookNFeel->Screensaver.

He didn't specify, so I suppose he is using the console.

Maybe "setterm -blank 0" will do the trick.

Vilmos