System Logging doesn't work anymore with PPP?

System Logging doesn't work anymore with PPP?

Post by Eric Gerlac » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to get PPPd working, and thought I was near the answer to the
problem.  I went into the PPP system logs to clear them out so I could
get the logs for just one attempt, but instead of clearing them (as I
should have) I deleted them (in a foolish attempt to save time).  How do
I get the logging back up and running?  I've tried everything.

I'm running Corel Linux 1.0, if that matters.

Thanx in advance,

Eric Gerlach

Post by Adrian Hand » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to get PPPd working, and thought I was near the answer to the
> problem.  I went into the PPP system logs to clear them out so I could
> get the logs for just one attempt, but instead of clearing them (as I
> should have) I deleted them (in a foolish attempt to save time).  How do
> I get the logging back up and running?  I've tried everything.

> I'm running Corel Linux 1.0, if that matters.

> Thanx in advance,

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog restart

When you "deleted" them they didn't really go away.
You only unlinked the directory entry.
Because syslogd still has them open, the don't get put back in the free
list.
When you restart the log daemon, it will close the files, they'll be put
into the free list, and then new files will be created.

Post by Casey_Gur » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I'm trying to get PPPd working, and thought I was near the
answer to the
>problem.  I went into the PPP system logs to clear them out so I
could
>get the logs for just one attempt, but instead of clearing them
(as I
>should have) I deleted them (in a foolish attempt to save time).
 How do
>I get the logging back up and running?  I've tried everything.

>I'm running Corel Linux 1.0, if that matters.

>Thanx in advance,

>Eric Gerlach

Yes I'm having the same essential problem.

Once the modem has sucessfully dialed-up, I get the error message
to this effect: pppd has died.  Also, I get the message: NO
CARRIER.  So how can I remedy this issue? Everything else seems
to be working fine.

System Logging doesn't work anymore with PPP?

Post by Adrian Hand » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Once the modem has sucessfully dialed-up, I get the error message
> to this effect: pppd has died.  Also, I get the message: NO
> CARRIER.  So how can I remedy this issue? Everything else seems
> to be working fine.

Either the two modems (yours and the ISP's) aren't recognizing each
other,
or the timeout on the CONNECT message is too quick in your chat script.

Check
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp1
try adding 'TIMEOUT' '120' at the top.
(the default is 45 seconds.)

System Logging doesn't work anymore with PPP?

Post by Davi » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

you could also go into /ect/ppp/options and check/change the auth to noauth.
this can stop ppp connecting.

regards
david.

Quote:> > Once the modem has sucessfully dialed-up, I get the error message
> > to this effect: pppd has died.  Also, I get the message: NO
> > CARRIER.  So how can I remedy this issue? Everything else seems
> > to be working fine.

> Either the two modems (yours and the ISP's) aren't recognizing each
> other,
> or the timeout on the CONNECT message is too quick in your chat script.

> Check
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp1
> try adding 'TIMEOUT' '120' at the top.
> (the default is 45 seconds.)

1. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

I have a communications server that's been giving us fits for a few
months now.  I can't seem to locate the problem.  I've been searching
DejaNews for analogous problem, but it looks like it's either something
I'm doing wrong, or I can't find it from the keywords I'm using.

    The machine will call the ISP on startup and work just fine, using a
static IP, BTW.  After a few hours it simply gets 'clogged' and won't
ping in either direction anymore.  The machine is pinging a couple of
times a minute in order to defeat the idelout on the terminal server,
but despite the inability to ping, it still doesn't hang up.  This
usually happens after several hours of no non-ping activity, like
overnight.

    So we have a site that won't communicate and won't hang up either.
It's running 4.2 (for now) but in desperation, I intend to 'flush and
fill' 5.0 on it this weekend, though I'd rather not.

    It's too old a pppd to support "nomagic" and similar options...is
there anything that anyone has seen like this so far?

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dynasty.net/users/kilroy
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

2. 3Dfx under Linux

3. ppp-up doesn't work anymore

4. Name server

5. PPP doesn't work under 2.0.26 anymore :-(

6. SEG VIOL

7. PPP doesn't work anymore

8. BE HELPFUL BUT STAY COOL

9. xawtv doesn't work anymore: can't open /dev/video0: No such device

10. svgalib's 3d demo doesn't work anymore

11. iptables firewall doesn't log anymore!

12. Syslogd doesn't log anymore

13. Users having probs logging into Linux system, get '/home/...' doesn't exist.