moving linux from one hd to another

Post by Jerry Unse » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Ok..
I have a fully functional :) linux box tyhat's running on a 420 meg ide
hard drive.  I got a 3 gig scsi drive ( seagate brand new ) and a scsi card
( advansys abp920) for a steal and want to put linux on that.  I would hate
to have to reinstall and loose all my custom tweaks and scipts and such..
How in the world do I move from one hd to another?

Post by Sander_Pro » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Ok..
: I have a fully functional :) linux box tyhat's running on a 420 meg ide
: hard drive.  I got a 3 gig scsi drive ( seagate brand new ) and a scsi card
: ( advansys abp920) for a steal and want to put linux on that.  I would hate
: to have to reinstall and loose all my custom tweaks and scipts and such..
: How in the world do I move from one hd to another?

Hi,

You can simply create a tar archive of your old hd and untar it onto your new hd.
The only thing you should be careful with is getting your new partition to boot
(i.e. run LILO after maybe changing some settings in lilo.conf)

take care,

Sander,
Amsterdam

1. how to move linux from one HD to another HD?

Hello

My aim is to reconfigure my hardware without reinstalling the software. My
problem is, that I'm not well-experienced in moving any unix-related OS
from one harddisk to a different one. I think it's quite complicated
because of its tree-like file structure.
If I'm wrong and the whole thing is so simple, please give me a hint!

thanx a lot

Patrick

2. www based email

3. how to move linux from one hd to another

4. MySQL won't start, is this the fix?

5. Moving Linux from one HD to other

6. XDM

7. moving Linux, as a whole, from one HD to a new one

8. Crisp configuration....?

9. Moving from one HD to another...

10. Move OpenBSD from one hd to another (different size)

11. Linux: two 540 Mb HD or one 1GB HD

12. Dos/os2/Linux and 2 hd's one 850, and one 425

13. Moving my running X app from one server to one other?