Weird message in log file messages

Post by Michel Catuda » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Mys system has RedHat 5.1 International version set to French

In /var/log/messages I get a strange message regularly and I was
wondering if someone could help me figure out what is being tried.
The file that is looked for doesn't exist.
Who is trying to load this and what is the purpose.

I have the text in an attachment.

It was 20 minutes after my connection to the net today.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

[ mystere < 1K ]
Sep 11 12:36:52 localhost inetd[636]: execv /usr/sbin/in.identd: No such file or directory
Sep 11 12:45:17 localhost inetd[637]: execv /usr/sbin/in.identd: No such file or directory

Post by Brian McCaule » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Sep 11 12:36:52 localhost inetd[636]: execv /usr/sbin/in.identd: No such file or directory

Chances are that you don't have /usr/sbin/in.identd installed but do
have an entry for it in /etc/inetd.conf.

Identd is a daemon that you should install on machines that are used
by more than one person to access the net.

Identd allows servers (web servers, mail servers, ftp servers,
whatever) to log which user of your machine is responsible for a
network connection.  This is a valuable aid in tracing abusers.

For example: suppose you sell shell accounts to third parties. Some
spammer may attempt to use his shell account on your machine to hijack
third (fourth?) party mail relays.  If you are not running identd the
only way you can hope to trace the offender is to correlate who was
logged in at the times of the offences.  If you are running ident then
with any luck the admin of the mail relay under attack will be able to
tell you who did it and you can close the account before they do too
much harm to your reputation.

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |