Slirp: how to connect?

Post by mard » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Okay, here's the situation.  My company is behind a firewall (a really
thick one) and the only way I can get through at home is by dialing in.
But I want to be able to run multiple sessions and browse the internal web
pages.  So i thought I'd try slirp.

Easier said than done.

I use linux at home and usually dial into a VAX with minicom.  But I can
telnet or rlogin to a linux box on my company's side.  So this is what i
try to do.

Use minicom to dial into the VAX (VMS)

VAX$ RLOGIN /EIGHTBIT linuxbox
linuxbox$ slirp

I have slirp configured for ppp in the .slirprc file.  Then, on my local
box I try.

localbox$ pppd /dev/modem defaultroute 10.0.2.2:10.0.0.15

However, this doesn't seem to work.  I just get garbage in my minicom
window and then pppd gives up.

What am I doing wrong?

-=-marduk-=-

 -- --

"Ubi non accusator, ibi non judex."

(Where there is no police, there is no speed limit.)
                -- Roman Law, trans. Petr Beckmann (1971)

Slirp: how to connect?

Post by Eberhard Bur » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[some snip]

Quote:> I use linux at home and usually dial into a VAX with minicom.  But I can
> telnet or rlogin to a linux box on my company's side.  So this is what i
> try to do.

> Use minicom to dial into the VAX (VMS)

> VAX$ RLOGIN /EIGHTBIT linuxbox
> linuxbox$ slirp

> I have slirp configured for ppp in the .slirprc file.  Then, on my local
> box I try.

> localbox$ pppd /dev/modem defaultroute 10.0.2.2:10.0.0.15

> However, this doesn't seem to work.  I just get garbage in my minicom
> window and then pppd gives up.

I don't know how this would be done, but you'll have to exit minicom
without dropping the line so it doesn't grab the characters that are
meant for pppd. Personally I used to have a dip-script to open the
serial line, dial out, log into a remote machine and start slirp. The
drawback of this is, that your password is in the dip-scriptfile, but
that shouldn't hurt you too bad as you only need to store that on your
home-linuxbox.
dip is really easy to use if you only want to dial out, it has a mode
for dialing in as well, but i didn't use that myself.

hope that helps,

--

1. PPP+SLiRP OK but CSLIP+SLiRP has display problem

I have slirp PPP running with DXPC compression but I was told
that CSLIP is faster than PPP. I have a Linux PC as server and a
Sun Sparc5 as client. I use a dip script to login and and
activate SLIRP on the Sun. The .slirprc file is:
##############################
add ptyexec /usr/bin/tcsh -1:10.0.2.1:23
compress
baudrate 38400
[I have tried adding the following:
redir X 10.0.2.15:0.0
redir 4000 4000
with no improvement]
############################
     The problem is that after giving xhost + to an xterm window
on the local Linux machine, I cannot find a setenv statement
that allows me to show Sun X programs on the local machine. If I
telnet to 10.0.2.0 to get the SLIRP command line: "show X"
it says use: "setenv DISPLAY [Sun IP adderess]:1.0" for the
display of the Sun command line. Testing with "xclock &" does not
bring up the X program on the screen. There is an error message:
"Unable to open [Sun IP address]:1.0" and also for :2, :8 etc.
aliases like 10.0.2.2 also do not work. Nor does the default:
"setenv DISPLAY :8"
     Has anybody got SLIRP CSLIP to work properly?
Thanks, Don

cslippro.asc
--
Donald F. Parsons MD, Wadsworth Ctr, (Rm D224A)
PO Box 509, Albany, NY 12201-0509. (518)474-7047 Fax: (518)474-7992

2. find files in a given directory, but exclude all subdirectory

3. Slirp Slirp

4. Fax program

5. SliRp/Minicom: Starting Slirp through minicom?

6. PATCH: sk98 typo fix

7. Slirp Slirp

8. Linux on FAST Pentium or Pentium Pro Question!

9. Slirp: Dial with minicom to shell then telnet to other shell to use slirp?

10. How To connect to SLIRP server?

11. Is SLiRP the best way to connect to netcom's shell ?

12. PPP connecting to shell account /w SLiRP?

13. Cannot connect to slirp with linux