top hangs when telnetting in

Post by Matthew W. Rober » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

When I telnet in to my Debian Linux system I am getting some
strange behavior.  When I run top, the first line or two show
up and then the program seems to hang.  Keyboard imputs do
nothing ('q' doesn't work).

I can still telnet in with another connection and kill the dead
top, but the screen does not clear up and I get no response from
the system.  Ctrl-] will break the telnet session, bringing me
back to the local host.

I've also noticed the same type of behavior with other commands.
'ls' will hang in certain directories (for instance /usr/sbin/ )

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Matt

Matthew Roberts                             http://matt.tamu.edu

What's another word for "thesaurus"?
   -- Steven Wright

Post by Paul Kimo » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> When I telnet in to my Debian Linux system I am getting some
> strange behavior.  When I run top, the first line or two show
> up and then the program seems to hang.  Keyboard imputs do
> nothing ('q' doesn't work).

> I can still telnet in with another connection and kill the dead
> top, but the screen does not clear up and I get no response from
> the system.  Ctrl-] will break the telnet session, bringing me
> back to the local host.

> I've also noticed the same type of behavior with other commands.
> 'ls' will hang in certain directories (for instance /usr/sbin/ )

What is your telnet client?  What is the TERM environment variable
being set to?

--

1. Hang after Telnet/SMC EtherEZ/Telnet

I hope my description is clear:

Problem: After telneting to a SUN on the network, my PC hangs after a
while. Sometimes it hangs before I get the login or password
prompt. Cold boot is necessary.

Details of my configuration:
-------------------------------
I have Slackware Linux 1.3.20 running.

My 486 33Mz, connects to an ethernet that has a number of SUNs
networked.

My ethernet card is the SMC-EtherEZ (SMC8416BT), configured as
memory mapped mode (using 0xD000-0xD1ff), using the setup
program that came with the card (this was done from DOS obviously).

I set the TERM variable to 'sun', 'sun-s', 'sun-24', 'linux'. but
with no success.

'rsh' command does'nt work too.
-------------------------------

The file  smc-ultra.c : is it adequate or is a better one available
for the ether-ez yet ?
Could you suggest how I could modify it (shudder) ?
-------------------------------

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
                                                                --- Ajit

2. Routing Question

3. Telnet hangs but NCSA Telnet doesn't

4. IDL compiler for AIX

5. Squid Setting IP Forward (Top Top Top Urgent)

6. arnuschky@xylon.de

7. Invincible process that hangs ps, top, ls /proc/<pid>

8. virtual memory exhausted ....error

9. 'Top' hangs under 1.2.0

10. hang w/top, ps commands

11. Top command in Telnet