Real Difference Between Server and Workstation under RH7.0?

Real Difference Between Server and Workstation under RH7.0?

Post by Scott M. Navarr » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:19:31

  Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the following under
RH7.0 Professional Server?  Doing a Server installation with no 'server
type' selected ("News Server", "Web Server", "NFS Server", and "Mail Server"
all un-selected) as compared to doing a Workstation installation.  Of
course, I would like to know the difference other than the obvious fact that
the X-Window interface is not included in the server installation.

  You see, I am setting up a standard server to be used primarily as a
database server, but would like to add the X-Window interface (and GNOME or
KDE) to do web browsing and some graphical system administration.  So since
it will primarily be a server, I did not want to do a workstation install to
get the GUI because I was afraid that the kernel parameters and some other
things would not be set to favor operation as a server.  Am I wrong in
thinking this way?

Thanks in advance,
  Scott Navarre

Real Difference Between Server and Workstation under RH7.0?

Post by Robert Helle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

  In a message on Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:19:31 GMT, wrote :

"MN>   Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between the following under
"MN> RH7.0 Professional Server?  Doing a Server installation with no 'server
"MN> type' selected ("News Server", "Web Server", "NFS Server", and "Mail Server"
"MN> all un-selected) as compared to doing a Workstation installation.  Of
"MN> course, I would like to know the difference other than the obvious fact that
"MN> the X-Window interface is not included in the server installation.
"MN>
"MN>   You see, I am setting up a standard server to be used primarily as a
"MN> database server, but would like to add the X-Window interface (and GNOME or
"MN> KDE) to do web browsing and some graphical system administration.  So since
"MN> it will primarily be a server, I did not want to do a workstation install to
"MN> get the GUI because I was afraid that the kernel parameters and some other
"MN> things would not be set to favor operation as a server.  Am I wrong in
"MN> thinking this way?

There are no kernel differences.  The difference between 'workstation'
and 'server' installs is pretty much:

server: X11 not installed, default run level 3 (startup in console mode).
workstation: X11 installed, default run level 5 (startup in X11).

Also: the selection of packages installed is different -- server having
server packages and workstation having more workstation stuff.  Like a
server won't have pppd installed and might not have the -devel stuff or
utilities like gimp, and a workstation might not have httpd or
samba-server installed.

If you want the machine to be mostly a server, do the server install
and then go back and manually install the 'missing' workstation stuff
you want (X11, gnome, gimp, netscape, etc.).  Configure X11, but DON'T
elect to have the machine startup in X11 -- leave it at default run
level 3 (startup in console mode), since this allows the system to
perform best as a server when you (the user) is not logged in.  You'll
have to use the startx command to fire up X11 (gnome).

"MN>
"MN> Thanks in advance,
"MN>   Scott Navarre
"MN>