New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

Post by Rob Thiel » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello Linux Folks,

I've got RH5.1 Linux & W98 on the same West. Dig. 4GB drive,
and would like to copy all partitions & data to a new Maxtor 5.7GB
drive using "Drive Copy" program under W98.

I'm not expecting trouble getting it going in terms of CMOS settings,
or in terms of W98.  I am worried, however, about exactly which
files or other changes need to be made in Linux in order to be able
to successfully boot to the newly copied drive of a different size.

I have ver. 2.0 of Drive Copy, which claims to support copying
Linux partitions & data.

I'm fairly new to Linux, so please assume newbie-speak in
your responses ; )

Many, many thanks for your kindness in responding.

Sincerely,

New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

Post by gerhard kowa » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Rob Thielen schrieb:

Quote:> Hello Linux Folks,

> I've got RH5.1 Linux & W98 on the same West. Dig. 4GB drive,
> and would like to copy all partitions & data to a new Maxtor 5.7GB
> drive using "Drive Copy" program under W98.

why dont you do it in linux ?
 fsdisk your disk  -resboot
format (mkfs) copy (cp)
mount it in /new
then you edit the lilo.conf  and run lilo (if you start so)
or your C:\LOADLIN\linux.bat
keep a emergency disk of Linux !
its easy .. but read all of installation before --till you trust your
know-how
Drive Copy ..etc. will not do that (the root partition will not be the
same )
 /dev/hda2  is not /dev/hdb2 for example L. needs to find kernel & root

1. New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

Hello Linux Folks,

I've got RH5.1 Linux & W98 on the same West. Dig. 4GB drive,
and would like to copy all partitions & data to a new Maxtor 5.7GB
drive using "Drive Copy" program under W98.

I'm not expecting trouble getting it going in terms of CMOS settings,
or in terms of W98.  I am worried, however, about exactly which
files or other changes need to be made in Linux in order to be able
to successfully boot to the newly copied drive of a different size.

I have ver. 2.0 of Drive Copy, which claims to support copying
Linux partitions & data.

I'm fairly new to Linux, so please assume newbie-speak in
your responses ; )

Many, many thanks for your kindness in responding.

Sincerely,

2. mget + mput in quiet mode / no questions ?

3. MITSUMI HELP?

4. help: using "cp" causes data corruption when copying from drive to drive.

5. software for sending email to mobile phone.

6. "dd" copy fails to copy errors

7. Having trouble getting X to work with Trident TGUI9420!

8. Common Desktop "copy" & "paste" fuction keys not working in Exceed 6.1

9. How to get "copy" and "paste" keys in X?

10. Help! Using "dd" for disk copy ?

11. "Bulk" copy FreeBSD disk drives?

12. Help !! Using "dd" for disk copy ?