Attach external device to linux pc

Post by Vitaly Kroivet » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello !
I am newbie on this field , so , please ... :)
I  would like  to know  how  I can attach to my  linux  PC external
device,
for
example lamp, or  motor, and control it   (write some program, that
turns
it on/off, etc)
Where I can find  a documentation about that? Any FAQ, HOWTO?
Which  hardware I need ? Can I buy  it in the store or I have  to  buy
transistors and
such things and build it myself?
How I program this  IO  operations?  Do i need  any  existing drivers?
If you did something similar, please  give me as much information as
possible.

Thank you in advance, and please excuse my poor english...

Vitaly.
P.S.
            If it is possible, please answer by email . Thanks !

Post by James Kno » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Hello !
>I am newbie on this field , so , please ... :)
>I  would like  to know  how  I can attach to my  linux  PC external
>device,
>for
>example lamp, or  motor, and control it   (write some program, that
>turns
>it on/off, etc)
>Where I can find  a documentation about that? Any FAQ, HOWTO?
>Which  hardware I need ? Can I buy  it in the store or I have  to  buy
>transistors and
>such things and build it myself?
>How I program this  IO  operations?  Do i need  any  existing drivers?
>If you did something similar, please  give me as much information as
>possible.

I don't know if they're available in your area, but there are some
devices available in North America that can be used for appliance
control etc.  These would be part of the X11 system, origially from
BSR.  These devices can be controlled by a computer or dedicated
controller.  I seem to recall reading about Linux suport for these
devices.

The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
IBM Canada Ltd.

1. Attaching external SCSI disk to PC running Solaris 2.1

Hi,

  We have installed Solaris 2.1 on a PC with an internal 270 Mbyte
  IDE drive. We would now like to attach an external 1Gbyte hard
  disk. We have installed the SCSI card (Adaptec AHA-1540CF/1542CF)
  but are having problems accessing the drive. We have attempted to
  use fdisk to partition the drive followed by:

   % newfs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s6

  newfs then reports the error: No such device or address.

Anyone got any suggestions about how to proceed ?

Regards,

 Tony Alcock,
 Fluid Power Centre,
 University of Bath.

2. Reverse video

3. Linux on external monitor attached to a laptop

4. Apache->PHP-mail()->sendmail problem Debian 3.1

5. External CD-ROM attached to parallel port & Linux

6. CorelExplorer won't start

7. Printing from an iMac to printer attached to a linux PC

8. #include troubles

9. Access ZIP drive attached to Linux PC from windows?

10. Printing from an iMac to printer attached to a linux PC

11. (newbie) pop3 mail client on pc attached via ethernet to linux pop3 server problems

12. Linux HA - How can I attach a SCSI disk device to two hosts simultaneously?

13. Problem attaching external disk to TP