BIG TROUBLE! ext2 fs inconsistencies

Post by Jeremy J Smi » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

        I am having some sort of huge problem with my native linux ext2
filesystem:  If I try to ftp/cp/etc a file larger than 50k to the
filesystem it reports the error:  File too large.  However, I have over
60 mbytes free for the drive!  Even if I delete files to "make more room"
it doesn't make any difference.  I can however dump 100 20K files to the
filesystem.

        I am new to the whole filesystem setup, and I have only a small
understanding of the "inode" concept, but perhaps the problem is with
inodes.  I have run fsck on the fs, and it reports no errors.

        What can I do?  How can I prevent this in the future?

        I have looked for info on this subject, but I could find none in
the HOWTOs, man pages, etc.

                                                Thanks,
                                                Jeremy

BIG TROUBLE! ext2 fs inconsistencies

Post by Bob and Marcia Kneus » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    I am having some sort of huge problem with my native linux ext2
>filesystem:  If I try to ftp/cp/etc a file larger than 50k to the
>filesystem it reports the error:  File too large.  However, I have over
>60 mbytes free for the drive!  Even if I delete files to "make more room"
>it doesn't make any difference.  I can however dump 100 20K files to the
>filesystem.

Jeremy,

Try looking in the man pages for mkfs (more specifically the one for e2fs)
and see if there is some wierd parameter for limitiing the file size or
for causing the OS to allocate disk space in some huge extents. (I would
check this for you, but I don't have a linux machine handy here at work.)
If you find that there is a way to limit this, then perhaps that was done
to your file system when it was created.  The only way to fix this would be to
back up the ailing filesystem (either onto another or to tape/floppy with
tar) and then re-format the filesystem with mkfs...

Hope it helps,

- Bob

Littleton, CO, USA                        WWW:    http://www.rmii.com/~kneusel

BIG TROUBLE! ext2 fs inconsistencies

Post by Jacob Lorens » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy J Smith <jjsst2> writes:

    Jeremy> If I try to ftp/cp/etc a file
    Jeremy> larger than 50k to the filesystem it reports the error:
    Jeremy> File too large.

    Jeremy> I can however dump 100 20K files to the filesystem.

This sounds like you have somehow set a user limit on maximum file
size. Try using the command ``limit'' (if you use tcsh as your shell)
or the command ``ulimit -a'' (if you are using bash as your shell).

These commands should show you the current limits _for that session_!

I can reproduce your problem, if I do the following: (in tcsh)

   Yes?> limit filesize 10
   Yes?> limit
   cputime         unlimited
   filesize        10 kbytes
   datasize        unlimited
   stacksize       8192 kbytes
   coredumpsize    0 kbytes
   memoryuse       unlimited
   Yes?> cat /dev/zero >tesfile
   cat: write error: File too large
   Yes?> unlimit filesize
   Yes?> cat /dev/zero >testfile

... testfile just grows and grows...

Now the questions arises - where were this limit setup? Try

    grep limit /etc/profile /etc/*rc ~/.*login ~/.*rc

and see if you find it.

Good Luck,
Jacob.

1. BIG TROUBLE! ext2 fs inconsistencies

        I am having some sort of huge problem with my native linux ext2
filesystem:  If I try to ftp/cp/etc a file larger than 50k to the
filesystem it reports the error:  File too large.  However, I have over
60 mbytes free for the drive!  Even if I delete files to "make more room"
it doesn't make any difference.  I can however dump 100 20K files to the
filesystem.

        It has worked fine for a long time, and I have no idea what
started this nonsense!

        I am new to the whole filesystem setup, and I have only a small
understanding of the "inode" concept, but perhaps the problem is with
inodes.  I have run fsck on the fs, and it reports no errors.

        What can I do?  How can I prevent this in the future?

        I have looked for info on this subject, but I could find none in
the HOWTOs, man pages, etc.

                                                Thanks,
                                                Jeremy

2. Bourne Shell: finding character in string

3. ext2 filesystem - big troubles (overwritten files, etc.)

4. tcsh & dbxtool, yet another fix

5. Bugs in LVM and ext2 + suggestion for fix (was: Problem mounting ext2 fs on LVM)

6. 2940U and S3 Trio64V+ and linux-2.0.?

7. EXT2-FS warning for nonexistant FS?

8. HELP PLEASE - memcpy( char * , unsigned long, 4 )

9. Q: Changing from UmsDOS FS to Ext2 FS

10. How to get fs creation date of an ext2 fs?

11. fs/inode.c sync fix and fs/ext2/inode.c tidy

12. UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY- howto repair ext2

13. BIG BIG TROUBLE!!