memset in libc.so.5.4.7 broken

Post by Guy Berlin » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I upgraded from libc.so.5.0.9 to libc.so.5.4.7, and now
anything that requires memset crashes with segmentation
fault. I also upgraded the linker ld.so., and  upgraded
the compiler to gcc 2.7.2. And now even linking against the
old libraries, libc.so.5.0.9, my program still crashes
in memset. So I really have no idea where the fault
precisely lies. The only thing I know for sure is
that the sigsegv occurs inside of memset. Can anyone
offer guidance on how to correctly upgrade libc.so.5?

Guy Berliner
--

memset in libc.so.5.4.7 broken

Post by Stan Brook » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I upgraded from libc.so.5.0.9 to libc.so.5.4.7, and now
>anything that requires memset crashes with segmentation
>fault. I also upgraded the linker ld.so., and  upgraded
>the compiler to gcc 2.7.2. And now even linking against the
>old libraries, libc.so.5.0.9, my program still crashes
>in memset. So I really have no idea where the fault
>precisely lies. The only thing I know for sure is
>that the sigsegv occurs inside of memset. Can anyone
>offer guidance on how to correctly upgrade libc.so.5?
>Guy Berliner

This is very strange. I observe no similar problems here after
similar upgrades.

When upgrading gcc, binutils, libc, be sure to read carefully
the
  release.gcc-X.Y.Z
  release.binutils-X.Y.Z
  release.libc-X.Y.Z
files which are generally in the same ftp directory as the
binary distributions.

Hope this helps. Otherwise maybe you should send source for
a minimal program which demonstrates failure of memset.

--
 --SJB             >> no-junk-mail-please! <<
--

1. Is libc.so.3.0 broken?

Hi again folks,

I'm running the August 1 SNAP and I've got a problem :(

I've been using the AUIS distribution for quite some time ( > year ).
During this period I've rebuilt it a few times from scratch, each
time without a hitch. Last week, however, I wasn't as lucky.

The distribution would build, but only a few of the applications
would work correctly. The rest instantly core dump on SIG 11, SIG 10,
and even SIG 8. Analysis of the cores with GDB indicates that the
faults occur in 'cerror' which is a little assembly function inside
libc.

With a bit of trickery I managed to selectively link a few applications
against libc.so.2.2 ( actually the .a equivalent but you know what I
mean ),  these worked flawlessly as before.

So the obvious conclusion is that something has changed/is broken in
libc.so.3.0 ( and its '.a' static equivalent ).

Has anyone else encountered this? And if so, is there a clean
workaround? As always any/all thoughts, suggestions, pointers and
opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew.
( opinions are mine, not those of Nortel )

2. NFS and Walter Scott

3. libc.so.5.2.18 breaks finger and who

4. graphical ftp client?

5. libc.so.4.4.4 breaks Seyon?

6. Orchid Memory Board

7. libc.so.4.7.6 breaks in.pop3d

8. compatibility question

9. StarOffice 5 breaks libc.so.6+X

10. libc.so.4.7.2 breaks NYS client

11. HELP broken libc.so.5 link

12. what did I break? (libc.so.6 question)

13. upgrade libc.so breaks ftp ??