Is it possible to make my own video driver ?

Is it possible to make my own video driver ?

Post by Nick Drey » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a WD9710 video chip that is not supported by XFree86.  I have patience,
interest and ability to compile C-code, so how hard is it to make my own
driver (or at least enough of one to allow 640x480 at 16bpp)?  Where would I
go to get information on the basics of such a project?  Of course, it may be
that there are no programming specs available for this chip, which might doom
the idea, but it does conform to VESA standards of some sort.

If this does not pan out, I guess I'll have to break down and buy myself an
XFree86-supported card, because 16-color VGA is just not good enough for me.

                                  |\|.

|\|.

Hey you know something people?                      They won't go for no more
I'm not black, but there's a whole lotsa times      Great Midwestern hardware store
I wish I could say I'm not white.                   Philosophy that turns away
(1965, Frank Zappa in Trouble Every Day             From those who aren't afraid to say
 -> Freak Out)                                      What's on their mind -- The left behinds
                                                    Of The Great Society.
                                                    (1965, Frank Zappa in Hungry Freaks, Daddy
                                                     -> Freak Out)

Is it possible to make my own video driver ?

Post by Yan Seine » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sure it's possible.  In the end, you'll have hundreds if not thousands
of dollars of your time invested in the project.  A new supported video
card is only $35...

Look in the source code for samples of drivers.

Yan

Post by Dan Nguye » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: I have a WD9710 video chip that is not supported by XFree86.
: it does conform to VESA standards of some sort.

If it is VESA 2.0 comlient then you may be able to get it to work as a
frame buffer device.  Take a look at this page.  It's for Banshee
cards but it works the same way for any card that can handle it.

http://www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/

--
           Dan Nguyen            | There is only one happiness in

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~nguyend7 |                   -George Sand

Post by James Youngma » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have a WD9710 video chip that is not supported by XFree86.  I have
> patience, interest and ability to compile C-code, so how hard is it
> to make my own driver (or at least enough of one to allow 640x480 at
> 16bpp)?  Where would I go to get information on the basics of such a
> project?  Of course, it may be that there are no programming specs
> available for this chip, which might doom the idea, but it does
> conform to VESA standards of some sort.

Set the wheels in motion for getting the specs, and visit
www.xfree86.org.  Follow the instructions on becoming a contributor.

--

1. Anyone ever made their own device driver for Linux?

  Recently purchased a chinon 4X CDrom that isn't recognized  by any of the existing device
drivers in /dev.  I called Chinon and asked if they planned on creating a Unix driver or
specifically a Linux driver.  They said no on Unix and that theyd never heard of Linux.  Now
I'm having them send me the programming specs for my drive.  To the point..anyone out there
managed to create their own device driver for linux yet?  Anyone out the know where I can
get the source for a functioning CDrom device driver to pattern mine after?

Thanks,
Steve Brague

2. Distro: Sorcerer

3. Network printers

4. I have a trident 9440 video card and I am looking for a linux driver

5. Linux PPP to NT RAS Server?

6. Help! Kernel build problems (My own, am sure)

7. Odd intermittent lag times with Apache 1.30.20 on RH 7.2

8. How to call by phone my own pc and made hime to establish a connection ?

9. Making my own Linux CD

10. making my own distribution / boot disks? installation howto?

11. Making my own Linux CD

12. I made my own man directory, but...