automating telnet access with scripts(wu-ftp won't work now)

automating telnet access with scripts(wu-ftp won't work now)

Post by RandyC » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi!

The problem I'm having seems like it should have a straight forward fix, but
I can't figure it out.

I'm in the process of writing a menu script for my users to run when they
login with telnet on our main Linux server. When I point the shell to this
script file in /etc/passwd, they then can't use ftp to the same machine as
ftp client returns "530 User xxxx access denied . . ."

Is there any way I can check from within the script that ftp wants a login
session, or is there a better way to automate things for my users?

Any help will be appreciated

automating telnet access with scripts(wu-ftp won't work now)

Post by Johannes Stil » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

[...]
Quote:

>I'm in the process of writing a menu script for my users to run when they
>login with telnet on our main Linux server. When I point the shell to this
>script file in /etc/passwd, they then can't use ftp to the same machine as
>ftp client returns "530 User xxxx access denied . . ."

[...]

You need to have the menu script listed in /etc/shells. ftpd checks
this file to see whether an account is for a "real user", as opposed to
e.g. a "sync" pseudo-account (login shell /bin/sync).
( I don't claim that this kind of pseudo-account is a good idea - I'm
not sure whether there are other potential security holes.)

        Johannes

1. wu-ftp 2.6.1 on aix 4.3.3.10 won't work

i get this error after i installed wu-ftpd on aix 4.3.3.10 and then try
to connect:

Connected to jarrett.easycare.com.
220 jarrett FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1(1) Thu Jul 20 19:10:14 DFT
2000) ready.
Name (jarrett:mstolz):
331 Password required for mstolz.
Password:
230 User mstolz logged in.
Remote system type is UNKNOWN.
ftp> ls
500 Illegal PORT Command
ftp: bind: Address already in use
ftp> quit

i installed wu-ftpd-2.6.1 via tar file then i tried installing the
binary from the bull site using
wu-ftpd-2.6.1.0.bff and that produced the same error ... yes, my
settings in the inetd.conf file
do reflect the new binary, and my ftpaccess file is very generic ... in
fact, i tried to connect
without it and i still have the same error above ... i also had to
install the bos.adt.* toolset
from the option cds.

has anyone gotten wu-ftp to work on aix 4.3.3.10??

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. CALL FOR PAPERS for the O'REILLY OPEN SOURCE CONVENTION 2000

3. WU-FTP won't give directory list

4. Full page scanner with linux support??

5. wu-ftp won't die of inactivity

6. How does one create "autoclient" configurations?

7. wu-ftp won't compile with Linux 2.0.x

8. NTP configuratiuon

9. wu-ftp ls doesn't work

10. Links and wu-ftp - They don't work!?

11. wu-ftp: automatic conversions don't work

12. wu-ftp server problem, unable to use 'ls' or 'dir'

13. Can't ftp into Linux 8 running wu-ftp