Netscape sending out mail with GMT, not local time

Netscape sending out mail with GMT, not local time

Post by Robert Watkin » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have searched

  Edit -> Preferences,
  preferences.js, and
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape

for a solution to this, but to no avail.

When I use mail on the command line or Pine or any other mail client,
mail goes out and comes in with the local time.

In case it makes any difference, Netscape fetches mail from a POP
server. Although, when I log into this server directly and use Pine or
mail, no time problems are encountered.

Any help would be appreciated.
 -- Robert

Robert Watkins

Note: this question is about how to fix the problem using Netscape as a
mail client. Any responses that suggest I switch clients will be
considered off topic.

Post by Brent Shult » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I have searched

>   Edit -> Preferences,
>   preferences.js, and
>   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape

> for a solution to this, but to no avail.

> When I use mail on the command line or Pine or any other mail client,
> mail goes out and comes in with the local time.

> In case it makes any difference, Netscape fetches mail from a POP
> server. Although, when I log into this server directly and use Pine or
> mail, no time problems are encountered.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>  -- Robert

> Robert Watkins

> Note: this question is about how to fix the problem using Netscape as a
> mail client. Any responses that suggest I switch clients will be
> considered off topic.

The *standard* fix is to make the following sylink:

        ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo /usr/lib/zoneinfo

A more radical approach would be to download the glibc version of NC.

Good luck,

--
Brent Shultz

Netscape sending out mail with GMT, not local time

Post by Brent Shult » Wed, 22 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > > I have searched

> > >   Edit -> Preferences,
> > >   preferences.js, and
> > >   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape

> > > for a solution to this, but to no avail.

> > > When I use mail on the command line or Pine or any other mail client,
> > > mail goes out and comes in with the local time.

> > > In case it makes any difference, Netscape fetches mail from a POP
> > > server. Although, when I log into this server directly and use Pine or
> > > mail, no time problems are encountered.

> > > Any help would be appreciated.
> > >  -- Robert

> > > Robert Watkins

> > > Note: this question is about how to fix the problem using Netscape as a
> > > mail client. Any responses that suggest I switch clients will be
> > > considered off topic.

> > The *standard* fix is to make the following sylink:

> >         ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo /usr/lib/zoneinfo

> > A more radical approach would be to download the glibc version of NC.

> > Good luck,

> > --
> > Brent Shultz

> There must be something else I'm missing, because I tried this standard
> fix and it stil isn't working.

> I know you've also suggested using NC, but surely there's something more
> fundamental!?

> Thanks anyway,
>  -- Robert

Maybe the thread below from

help...

> > > I just downloaded 4.7 to my Redhat 6.0 linux box. The dates displayed in
> > > the window that lists my email are now in UTC time, rather than local
> > > time. When I was using 4.61, the times shown were local. I tried linking
> > > /usr/share/zoneinfo to /usr/lib/zoneinfo, but that did not help. What
> > > can I do to get local time to be displayed?

> > There's some symlink missing somewhere. Do "strace netscape 2>dump" and
> > grep through the dump for "localtime" or "zone" or even "time". There's
> > probably an open call that's failing.

> Thanks, your suggestion found the problem. netscape was looking for
> /usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime. I had symlinked /usr/share/zoneinfo to
> /usr/lib/zoneinfo, but there was no localtime in /usr/share/zoneinfo. I
> found localtime in /etc, so I made one more symlink and that did the
> trick.

Good luck,

--
Brent Shultz

Post by Robert Watkin » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

There must be something else I'm missing, because I tried this standard
fix and it stil isn't working.

I know you've also suggested using NC, but surely there's something more
fundamental!?

Thanks anyway,
 -- Robert

> > I have searched

> >   Edit -> Preferences,
> >   preferences.js, and
> >   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape

> > for a solution to this, but to no avail.

> > When I use mail on the command line or Pine or any other mail client,
> > mail goes out and comes in with the local time.

> > In case it makes any difference, Netscape fetches mail from a POP
> > server. Although, when I log into this server directly and use Pine or
> > mail, no time problems are encountered.

> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >  -- Robert

> > Robert Watkins

> > Note: this question is about how to fix the problem using Netscape as a
> > mail client. Any responses that suggest I switch clients will be
> > considered off topic.

> The *standard* fix is to make the following sylink:

>         ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo /usr/lib/zoneinfo

> A more radical approach would be to download the glibc version of NC.

> Good luck,

> --
> Brent Shultz

Netscape sending out mail with GMT, not local time

> > > The *standard* fix is to make the following sylink:

> > >         ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo /usr/lib/zoneinfo

> > > A more radical approach would be to download the glibc version of NC.

> > > Good luck,

> > > --
> > > Brent Shultz

> > There must be something else I'm missing, because I tried this standard
> > fix and it stil isn't working.

> > I know you've also suggested using NC, but surely there's something more
> > fundamental!?

> > Thanks anyway,
> >  -- Robert

> Maybe the thread below from

> help...

> > > There's some symlink missing somewhere. Do "strace netscape 2>dump" and
> > > grep through the dump for "localtime" or "zone" or even "time". There's
> > > probably an open call that's failing.

> > Thanks, your suggestion found the problem. netscape was looking for
> > /usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime. I had symlinked /usr/share/zoneinfo to
> > /usr/lib/zoneinfo, but there was no localtime in /usr/share/zoneinfo. I
> > found localtime in /etc, so I made one more symlink and that did the
> > trick.

> Good luck,

> --
> Brent Shultz

Perfect! Thanks, Brent, the strace bit did the trick.

For anyone else out there with the same problem, Netscape 4.61 (under
Mandrake 6.1, in case that makes a difference) requires a symlink as
follows:

  ln -s /etc /usr/i386-glibc20-linux/etc

Now it can find the actual file, /etc/localtime, where it wants to.

 -- Robert

1. How to get ls to show local time and not GMT

Stupid thing I can't figure out. My RD 6.0 systems display the local
time when I use 'date', but the date displayed by 'ls -l' is the GMT
time.  Is there a way to change this?

--
Steve Simons                                    "Yeah, I can do that"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Meet the Taliban

3. log times in GMT, not local

4. extend /usr

5. screen [repost]

6. Convert local time to gmt time without using TimeZone Env variable

7. Needed: Specs of the IBM 8514-002, a.o.

8. convert UT time in local time / local time in UT time

9. GMT vs. Local Time -- Some help please!

10. Converting GMT to local time

11. GMT and local time manipulation in Solaris 2.x