Win NT with Linux and Win 95

Post by Ashwi » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I got a new PC with Win 95. I would like to partition it into three parts and
install Win NT with NTFS, Linux and Win 95 wiht FAT 32. Is this possible
without formatting my Hard Disk.

Are there any tools/utilities that I can use to do this ?. I have heard of
System Commander and partition MAgic. How good are they ?.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Ashwin Mathias

Win NT with Linux and Win 95

Post by Roy Stogn » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I got a new PC with Win 95.
>I would like to partition it into three parts and
>install Win NT with NTFS, Linux and Win 95 wiht FAT 32.

You should realize a few things:
NT doesn't read or write FAT32.  (How ironic...)
Win95 doesn't read or write NTFS.
Linux doesn't write NTFS.
Win95 and WinNT don't write EXT2FS (the Linux FS).

VFAT16 is the best way to share files between all three, but has all
the FAT16 problems on large partitions.

You probably want to have each OS's system files, and Linux's program
files, on their respective partition types, along with a FAT16 partition
or two to share data.

Quote:>Is this possible
>without formatting my Hard Disk.

Obviously not.  To make a partition with a new format, by definition you
need to format it.  You will need to format an ext2fs partition, along
with ntfs/fat16 partitions at least.

It may be possible to do this without reinstalling Win95, however, which
is probably what you really meant to ask:

Quote:>Are there any tools/utilities that I can use to do this ?. I have heard of
>System Commander and partition MAgic. How good are they ?.

Those will work, but are unnecessary.  FIPS15B will resize FAT32 partitions
(search for FIPS FAT32 Linux on the net or check the FAT32 link on my
bookmarks page, http://roystgnr.jones.rice.edu/bookmarks.html), and LILO
and the NT bootloader will boot multiple OSes.

However, if it's a new PC, then wiping the hard drive and reinstalling
Win95 will be just as easy as figuring out FIPS, and will be good practice
for future trashed registries and corrupted DLLs as well.

I would:
a. Look at the HOWTOs
b. Wipe Win95.
c. Read the HOWTOs again
d. With Linux fdisk, create a Linux partition (500-1500 MB), a Linux swap
partition (16-48 MB probably, depends on how much RAM you have - more RAM
means less swap), a FAT32 partition for Win95, an NTFS partition for NT,
and FAT16 partitions for sharing.
e. Did I mention the HOWTOs?
f. Install Win95 first, NT second, Linux third.  Use NT bootloader to boot
Win95 and WinNT, point LILO to the NT bootloader.  Alternately (and more
painfully in my experience) go through the complications in the HOWTO to
get NT loader to boot all three.
g. Email me if you have any problems
---
Roy Stogner