help - please urgent help needed to get back the lost or corrupted partition table

help - please urgent help needed to get back the lost or corrupted partition table

Post by karthikey » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:08:55

sir ,
  I am redhat linux 6.2.I have dual boot with win 98 SE.
  the scenario is

I typed the command
        cat /proc/swaps
      it shows /dev/hda11

  at that time I suddenly removed(foolish) /dev/hda11 .

then I typed the command

  "mknod /dev/hda11 b 3 0 " - to get back the hda11 block .

then I tried again to make /dev/hda11 as the swap partition manually

 so I tried "mkswap /dev/hda11"

  it shows the swap signature was not found properly .
so I tried the command
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda11 bs=1024 count=81920
 (for ur information my swap partition(/dev/hda11)during installation
was 82MB so that only I tried count=81920)

  it takes some more time than the normal time to create a swap file

I am in doubt whether it creates any mistery
 so I tried
   cfdisk
 (an error occured saying regarding the partition enlargement & so it
doesn't show any partition at all.)
at once i tried
  fdisk /dev/hda
(unable to open the /dev/hda)

I found that I am in trouble and I restart the machine and I didn't
get the lilo loader and no result was arrived the m/c stands still.

I then used the REDhat installation CDROm and tried linux rescue
and i get a prompt I tried fdisk /dev/hda and  I got the error
(unable to open the /dev/hda) and so i tried
        "mknod /dev/hda b 3 0"
and I tried fdisk /dev/hda
and put p to print the partition table but there was nothing printed
only
the headers like

 block start cylinder end cylinder

but no numerical value was printed and no information about the
devices was found.

so i used the win 98 SE boot disk and tried fdisk
  and used the option to display the partition table
it reports no fixed partition .

 There I was so much shocked and i tried

  fdisk /mbr

 and tried fdisk at that time it displays

  C: A but only it shows 8GB (but my hard disk was 17GB)
and moreover my original C: was 1.2GB
  and what about the remaining 8GB .

then I  tried to reinstall the linux at that time I used to option to
upgrade existing installation but i got the error "No valid linux
partition was found".

and i tried the custom installation to reinstall linux at that time I
saw only one partition /dev/hda1 only and it shows
 /dev/hda1 8GB
and free space as 8GB.

I then used to linux bootup floppy i tried linux root=/dev/hda9
now I am getting the error

"Attempt to access beyond the end of device
03:09:rw=o,want=2,limit=0,dev 03:09 blksize=1024 blockhr=1 sector=2
size=1024 count=1
Ext2-fs unable to read superblock ,attempt to acccess beyond the end
of device
03:09:rw=0,want=33,limit=0 dev 03:09 blksize=1024 size=1024
blockhr=32 sector=64 size=1024 count=1
bread failed,dev=03:09 iso_blknum=16,block=32
Kernel panic :VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:09

so please sir will anybody provide me help to bring the original
partition table and is there any option in lilo to revive the
partition table

  what parameter should I pass in the lilo of floppy to revive the
partition table.
 Is there any parameter like fixtable or fixmbr so that I can pass to
lilo at bootup time to get back my partition table or correct the
corrupted partition table????

sir at the least I want only my windows partition again because
My original  partition table is having hda1,hda5,hda6,hda7,hda8,hda10

hda9 is linux native and hda11 is my swap
 Now I am getting the error no valid linux partition so please help me
atleast to get the contents of windows partition

when I simply boot with the hard disk without any boot disk I am
getting the error
"Missed operating System"

and atlast for ur info when I getting the error

"Attempt to access beyond the end of device
03:09:rw=o,want=2,limit=0,dev 03:09 blksize=1024 blockhr=1 sector=2
size=1024 count=1
Ext2-fs unable to read superblock ,attempt to acccess beyond the end
of device
03:09:rw=0,want=33,limit=0 dev 03:09 blksize=1024 size=1024
blockhr=32 sector=64 size=1024 count=1
bread failed,dev=03:09 iso_blknum=16,block=32
Kernel panic :VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:09

there was a mistery that screen saver runs after some specified
interval of time
what is the reason behind it is there any existence of linux in my
hard disk.please help me

 even  there is any third party tool to revive the hard disk help me I
have to recovery my content Is there any chance to get back my
partition table.Please help me immediately I am waiting for the reply
from these groups .Help me

Post by Kasper Dupon » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:38:45

karthikeyan wrote:

> sir ,
>   I am redhat linux 6.2.I have dual boot with win 98 SE.
>   the scenario is

> I typed the command
>         cat /proc/swaps
>       it shows /dev/hda11

>   at that time I suddenly removed(foolish) /dev/hda11 .

No big deal, that is easy to recreate.

> then I typed the command

>   "mknod /dev/hda11 b 3 0 " - to get back the hda11 block .

But as I guess you already found out, this is wrong.

> then I tried again to make /dev/hda11 as the swap partition manually

>  so I tried "mkswap /dev/hda11"

I guess that this would create a swap partition
on /dev/hda. This would probably not be a
disaster, just a little work to get it back to
normal.

>   it shows the swap signature was not found properly .

Hmm, are you sure that you typed "mkswap /dev/hda11"?
I thought you would get that message if you had typed
"swapon /dev/hda11".

> so I tried the command
>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda11 bs=1024 count=81920
>  (for ur information my swap partition(/dev/hda11)during installation
> was 82MB so that only I tried count=81920)

Ouch, there you wiped the first 80MB of your harddisk.
Hope you didn't have anything important there.

>   it takes some more time than the normal time to create a swap file

Yes, usually you don't overwrite the partition with
zeros. Usually you would just use mkswap, which only
creates a 4KB header.

> I am in doubt whether it creates any mistery
>  so I tried
>    cfdisk
>  (an error occured saying regarding the partition enlargement & so it
> doesn't show any partition at all.)
> at once i tried
>   fdisk /dev/hda
> (unable to open the /dev/hda)

Hmm, why unable to open /dev/hda? Did you remove that
too. Or did you mkswap /dev/hda11 and swapon /dev/hda11
so it is no busy as swap?

> I found that I am in trouble and I restart the machine and I didn't
> get the lilo loader and no result was arrived the m/c stands still.

If you had just realized that a little earlier.

> I then used the REDhat installation CDROm and tried linux rescue
> and i get a prompt I tried fdisk /dev/hda and  I got the error
> (unable to open the /dev/hda) and so i tried
>         "mknod /dev/hda b 3 0"
> and I tried fdisk /dev/hda
> and put p to print the partition table but there was nothing printed
> only
> the headers like

>  block start cylinder end cylinder

> but no numerical value was printed and no information about the
> devices was found.

No wonder it doesn't list any partitions. There are no
partitions.

> so i used the win 98 SE boot disk and tried fdisk
>   and used the option to display the partition table
> it reports no fixed partition .

>  There I was so much shocked and i tried

>   fdisk /mbr

Doesn't hurt much, in particular not now since you
had already wiped the mbr.

>  and tried fdisk at that time it displays

>   C: A but only it shows 8GB (but my hard disk was 17GB)
> and moreover my original C: was 1.2GB
>   and what about the remaining 8GB .

It probably shows 8GB due to BIOS limitations.
That is not a major problem. It doesn't know
anything about your original C: since the entry
in your partition table has been wiped.

> then I  tried to reinstall the linux at that time I used to option to
> upgrade existing installation but i got the error "No valid linux
> partition was found".

Good you didn't mess anymore with partition
tables, you could easilly have erased what data
could be left on the disk.

> and i tried the custom installation to reinstall linux at that time I
> saw only one partition /dev/hda1 only and it shows
>  /dev/hda1 8GB
> and free space as 8GB.

Did you do something with the DOS fdisk utility
that you didn't tell us about? Guess you created
a new partition in the first 8GB accessible
through the BIOS.

> I then used to linux bootup floppy i tried linux root=/dev/hda9
> now I am getting the error

> "Attempt to access beyond the end of device
> 03:09:rw=o,want=2,limit=0,dev 03:09 blksize=1024 blockhr=1 sector=2
> size=1024 count=1
> Ext2-fs unable to read superblock ,attempt to acccess beyond the end
> of device
> 03:09:rw=0,want=33,limit=0 dev 03:09 blksize=1024 size=1024
> blockhr=32 sector=64 size=1024 count=1
> bread failed,dev=03:09 iso_blknum=16,block=32
> Kernel panic :VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:09

No big deal, there just wasn't any hda9 at the
moment. I don't think this did anymore harm.

> so please sir will anybody provide me help to bring the original
> partition table and is there any option in lilo to revive the
> partition table

Hmm. Perhaps you should have asked for help
just a little earlier.

>   what parameter should I pass in the lilo of floppy to revive the
> partition table.
>  Is there any parameter like fixtable or fixmbr so that I can pass to
> lilo at bootup time to get back my partition table or correct the
> corrupted partition table????

Your parition table is not corrupted, it is
just completely gone. (Well the logical
partitions might still be there somewhere
if you didn't write too much to the partition
you created in DOS.)

> sir at the least I want only my windows partition again because
> My original  partition table is having hda1,hda5,hda6,hda7,hda8,hda10

Tell us some more about that partition table.
The more you can tell the more I can help you.
How large was each partition. What was on each
parition.

It looks like something is missing in that
table. You have logical partitions (hda5-hda11)
so you must have an extended partition. If hda1
is your extended partition you seem to be
missing a primary partition.

I will make a completely wild guess about how
it might have looked, please correct me:

hda1 1.2GB FAT
hda2 16GB extended
hda5 FAT
hda6 FAT
hda7 FAT
hda8 FAT
hda9 ext2 /
hda10 FAT
hda11 swap

What does it really look like. How large is
each partition, are they in the same order on
the disk?

> hda9 is linux native and hda11 is my swap
>  Now I am getting the error no valid linux partition so please help me
> atleast to get the contents of windows partition

How many windows partitions did you have?
If you had only one, and if it started within
the 80MB of the disk wich you have wiped you
are in *BIG* trouble.

> when I simply boot with the hard disk without any boot disk I am
> getting the error
> "Missed operating System"

No wonder.

> and atlast for ur info when I getting the error

> "Attempt to access beyond the end of device
> 03:09:rw=o,want=2,limit=0,dev 03:09 blksize=1024 blockhr=1 sector=2
> size=1024 count=1
> Ext2-fs unable to read superblock ,attempt to acccess beyond the end
> of device
> 03:09:rw=0,want=33,limit=0 dev 03:09 blksize=1024 size=1024
> blockhr=32 sector=64 size=1024 count=1
> bread failed,dev=03:09 iso_blknum=16,block=32
> Kernel panic :VFS : unable to mount root fs on 03:09

The same again.

> there was a mistery that screen saver runs after some specified
> interval of time
> what is the reason behind it is there any existence of linux in my
> hard disk.please help me

The screen saver is build into the kernel
which you loaded from the CD. But I guess
there is still some data left on your harddisk.
I just need to know some more before I can
help you.

Try booting the rescue disk again, the look
backwards through the output (SHIFT+PAGEUP)
and look for lines similar to these:
hda: IC35L040AVER07-0, ATA DISK drive
hda: 66055248 sectors (33820 MB) w/1916KiB Cache, CHS=4111/255/63
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 >

Tell us what you see. And if you remember what
the last line used to look like, please tell
us that too.

How important are the data to you? How long
time would you spend? Would you be willing to
remove the harddisk from the computer and buy
a new one to install the OSes on while trying
to recover data from the old one?

>  even  there is any third party tool to revive the hard disk help me I
> have to recovery my content Is there any chance to get back my
> partition table.Please help me immediately I am waiting for the reply
> from these groups .Help me

I'm not sure. I know that Norton Disk Doctor
can actually find some lost partitions, but
I don't know if it will help you.

--
Kasper Dupont
For sending spam use mailto:razor-rep...@daimi.au.dk

help - please urgent help needed to get back the lost or corrupted partition table

Post by karthikey » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:59:22

sir,
  My partition approximately was

hda1 1.2GB FAT
hda2 16GB extended
hda5 FAT32 2.5 GB
hda6 FAT32 3 GB
hda7 FAT32 3 GB
hda8 FAT32  3.5 GB
hda9 ext2 / 3.5 GB
hda10 FAT16  110 MB
hda11 swap  82 MB

 Sir I loast my partition table.

 I tried egrep to read raw datas & I used dd with skip option and I am
able to get the datas but data in raw format help me I donot exact
cylinder location in which linux was stored help to get actual info ..
from raw data

Post by Kasper Dupon » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:39:00

> sir,
>   My partition approximately was

> hda1 1.2GB FAT
> hda2 16GB extended
> hda5 FAT32 2.5 GB
> hda6 FAT32 3 GB
> hda7 FAT32 3 GB
> hda8 FAT32  3.5 GB
> hda9 ext2 / 3.5 GB
> hda10 FAT16  110 MB
> hda11 swap  82 MB

>  Sir I loast my partition table.

>  I tried egrep to read raw datas & I used dd with skip option and I am
> able to get the datas but data in raw format help me I donot exact
> cylinder location in which linux was stored help to get actual info ..
> from raw data

If you actually wiped the first 80MB of the harddisk there is
not much hope for your hda1 partition. You have wiped both
FAT tables and the first files on the disk. But you might
still be able to recover some information from the partition
so don't give up yet.

From your descriptions you should be able to recover the rest
of the partitions. (Unless you did some more damage which you
have not told us about.)

I wonder a little how you used to boot your Linux system
since all Linux partitions are placed outside the first 1024
cylinders. But that might not be of any importance here
anyway, so lets not make a big deal out of that.

You have not yet found any information about the geometry of
the disk. That could help so we don't have to guess. Look in
the BIOS setup for that information, also look what Linux
says at boot. (The two could be different, it would help to
have both numbers.)

I wrote a few lines of code that can search for the signature
used in partitiontables and boot records:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
int main()
{
  long long secnum=0;
  unsigned char buf[512];
  while (read(0,buf,512)==512) {
    if ((buf[510]==0x55)&&(buf[511]==0xAA))
      printf("%lld\n",secnum);
    ++secnum;
  }
  return 0;

Quote:}

Find a Linux system with same distribution as the one used
on your rescure disk. Compile the program and place it on a
floppy disk. Boot with a rescue disk and mount the floppy
containing the program. Type this command:

/mnt/floppy/a.out </dev/hda

And post the output here. The program will take a LONG time
to run. From that information I might be able to reconstruct
your partition table.

--
Kasper Dupont

1. Route Table - Getting Corrupted - Please Help

I have an ALR Pentium 75 machine and I'm loading RH6.2.  I want this
machine to act as a firewall but it seems that the route table gets
corrupted and it doesn't even know who it is.  The table gets corrupted
when I take an interface down and then bring it back up - basically
trying to simulate the DSL modem reconnecting(my service uses ppp over
ethernet).
I have tested all NIC's in other machines and they work flawlessly.

It even gets a bit more wierd.  RedHat 6.1 acts differently from RH6.2
and RH5.2 works!

Has anyone experienced this problem and/or does anyone have a solution?

TIA,

BeagleMaster

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Cgi scripts written in Java

3. Partition Table corrupt - Disk Geometry problems, need help!

4. running an old a.out binary file ?

5. Please help with lost partition table !!!

6. SCSI emulation in Linux

7. NEED HELP, lost partition table

8. Kernel problems - X and sound.

9. Possible to retrieve files when partition table gets corrupted?

10. Partition table corrupted - help!

11. help: partition table corrupt

12. Boot Sector and Partition Table Corrupted. Help!

13. Help! fdisk corrupted partition table(?)