fdformat death

Post by Randy Schult » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

 Hi there,

I've checked all over the /usr/doc stuff and man pages but can't find the
answer to this one.  I'm running RedHat 4.2 kernal 2.0.30 on a Sparc Classic.
When I try to format a floppy with the command "fdformat /dev/fd0H1440" I
hear the floppy spin up, things look ok with:
        Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity 1440 kB.
        Formatting ...

then it spits out:
        ioctl(FDFMTBEG): No such device

I have tried this with several discs thinking one might be bad.  If I put in
a previously formatted floppy, say msdos format, I can work with it.

Anybody know what's going on or where I can find info on what's going on?

--

Experience may be the best teacher but sometimes it would be good to know
the tuition up front.

1. fdformat under Slackware 2.0.2

Upgraded to 2.0.2. kernel 1.1.54 and fdformat does not work. I'm trying to
create a boot floppy and fdformat refuses to format any floppy. Any ideas?

Mike Treadwell
MArtin Marietta

2. Xconfig for S3 864

3. fdformat /dev/fd0 (Red Hat 5.0)

4. Need to run truss in a script and

5. Does fdformat work for you???

6. Copying File over Network

7. fdformat

8. libthreads: is it working ?

9. What happened to fdformat

10. What debian package contains fdformat?

11. fdformat

12. `fdformat` problem with 1.1.52

13. fdformat "devices"