lpr printing problem

Post by zhang.. » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I need help from you. I have a Canon BJ200 printer and couldn't get
it to work.

My /etc/printcap is:
lp|deskjet:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
:mx#0:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:\
:pl=66:\
:pw=132:\
:sh:

I used lpr to send print jobs to the printer "lp", lpq shows there are
entries in the queue but not printing.

lpc > status
lp:
    queuing is enabled
    printing is enabled
    1 entry in spool area
    Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)

/var/log/messages
    localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
    localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

The printer is on, but nothing printing. "cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lp1"
works fine. What's the problem?

Thanks in advance!
John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

lpr printing problem

Post by Art S. Kage » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Lpr has a progressive wait timer.  If the printer is not ready it waits
one minute, then two minutes, then four minutes, then eight minutes....
It does not take long to get to the point where it is waiting for years
before checking the printer again.  Stop and disable the printer and kill
the lpd daemon then restart it.  That usually works to reset the timeout.
If not the daemon writes the current timeout to a file in the spool
directory hierarchy (don't remember which subdir or file but there aren't
that many to check out) you just have to edit the file and zero the
counter.

This can happen if the printer is offline and there are files in its
queue.  Solution make sure to turn the printer on before or shortly after
spooling to it.

Art S. Kagel

> Hi, I need help from you. I have a Canon BJ200 printer and couldn't get
> it to work.

> My /etc/printcap is:
> lp|deskjet:\
> :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
> :mx#0:\
> :lp=/dev/lp1:\
> :pl=66:\
> :pw=132:\
> :sh:

> I used lpr to send print jobs to the printer "lp", lpq shows there are
> entries in the queue but not printing.

> lpc > status
> lp:
>     queuing is enabled
>     printing is enabled
>     1 entry in spool area
>     Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)

> /var/log/messages
>     localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
>     localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

> The printer is on, but nothing printing. "cat /etc/printcap > /dev/lp1"
> works fine. What's the problem?

> Thanks in advance!
> John

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

lpr printing problem

Post by zhang.. » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Art:

Thanks for your help.

I tried to use "lpc" to stop, disable the printer, but I still had the
problem. There was no lpd process showed when I did "ps -ef" even I
tried to execute lpd manually. Might it be the problem?

Thanks,
John

> Lpr has a progressive wait timer.  If the printer is not ready it
waits
> one minute, then two minutes, then four minutes, then eight
minutes....
> It does not take long to get to the point where it is waiting for
years
> before checking the printer again.  Stop and disable the printer and
kill
> the lpd daemon then restart it.  That usually works to reset the
timeout.
> If not the daemon writes the current timeout to a file in the spool
> directory hierarchy (don't remember which subdir or file but there
aren't
> that many to check out) you just have to edit the file and zero the
> counter.

> This can happen if the printer is offline and there are files in its
> queue.  Solution make sure to turn the printer on before or shortly
after
> spooling to it.

> Art S. Kagel

> > Hi, I need help from you. I have a Canon BJ200 printer and couldn't
get
> > it to work.

> > My /etc/printcap is:
> > lp|deskjet:\
> > :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
> > :mx#0:\
> > :lp=/dev/lp1:\
> > :pl=66:\
> > :pw=132:\
> > :sh:

> > I used lpr to send print jobs to the printer "lp", lpq shows there
are
> > entries in the queue but not printing.

> > lpc > status
> > lp:
> >     queuing is enabled
> >     printing is enabled
> >     1 entry in spool area
> >     Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)

> > /var/log/messages
> >     localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
> >     localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

> > The printer is on, but nothing printing. "cat /etc/printcap >
/dev/lp1"
> > works fine. What's the problem?

> > Thanks in advance!
> > John

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

lpr printing problem

Post by Art S. Kage » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Art:

> Thanks for your help.

> I tried to use "lpc" to stop, disable the printer, but I still had the
> problem. There was no lpd process showed when I did "ps -ef" even I
> tried to execute lpd manually. Might it be the problem?

lpc start <printername>
lpc enable <printername>

should restart the daemon and enable the printer.  First poke around for
the file which contains the "waiting for lp to..." message I believe that
file has the timeout count in it.  If no it's around there.  I'll poke
myself tonight, wish I could remember the file/path.

Art S. Kagel

> Thanks,
> John

> > Lpr has a progressive wait timer.  If the printer is not ready it
> waits
> > one minute, then two minutes, then four minutes, then eight
> minutes....
> > It does not take long to get to the point where it is waiting for
> years
> > before checking the printer again.  Stop and disable the printer and
> kill
> > the lpd daemon then restart it.  That usually works to reset the
> timeout.
> > If not the daemon writes the current timeout to a file in the spool
> > directory hierarchy (don't remember which subdir or file but there
> aren't
> > that many to check out) you just have to edit the file and zero the
> > counter.

> > This can happen if the printer is offline and there are files in its
> > queue.  Solution make sure to turn the printer on before or shortly
> after
> > spooling to it.

> > Art S. Kagel

> > > Hi, I need help from you. I have a Canon BJ200 printer and couldn't
> get
> > > it to work.

> > > My /etc/printcap is:
> > > lp|deskjet:\
> > > :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
> > > :mx#0:\
> > > :lp=/dev/lp1:\
> > > :pl=66:\
> > > :pw=132:\
> > > :sh:

> > > I used lpr to send print jobs to the printer "lp", lpq shows there
> are
> > > entries in the queue but not printing.

> > > lpc > status
> > > lp:
> > >     queuing is enabled
> > >     printing is enabled
> > >     1 entry in spool area
> > >     Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)

> > > /var/log/messages
> > >     localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
> > >     localhost kernal: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

> > > The printer is on, but nothing printing. "cat /etc/printcap >
> /dev/lp1"
> > > works fine. What's the problem?

> > > Thanks in advance!
> > > John

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

lpr printing problem

Post by zhang.. » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Art:

Thanks for your help. I can start "lpd" daemon and enable "lp" now!
But I still can not to make the printer work. "lpc status" shows
"Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)" (the file is
/var/spool/lpd/status), but in fact the printer is online.  "dmesg|grep
lp" shows "lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)". Again, I can cat files to
/dev/lp1, but can not use "lpr". Whenever I use "lpr" to send a job to
"lp", the printer "lp" sounds getting a request, but nothing printed
out.

More ideas? Please help!

Thanks,
John

> > Art:

> > Thanks for your help.

> > I tried to use "lpc" to stop, disable the printer, but I still had
the
> > problem. There was no lpd process showed when I did "ps -ef" even I
> > tried to execute lpd manually. Might it be the problem?

> lpc start <printername>
> lpc enable <printername>

> should restart the daemon and enable the printer.  First poke around
for
> the file which contains the "waiting for lp to..." message I believe
that
> file has the timeout count in it.  If no it's around there.  I'll
poke
> myself tonight, wish I could remember the file/path.

> Art S. Kagel

> > Thanks,
> > John

> > > Lpr has a progressive wait timer.  If the printer is not ready it
> > waits
> > > one minute, then two minutes, then four minutes, then eight
> > minutes....
> > > It does not take long to get to the point where it is waiting for
> > years
> > > before checking the printer again.  Stop and disable the printer
and
> > kill
> > > the lpd daemon then restart it.  That usually works to reset the
> > timeout.
> > > If not the daemon writes the current timeout to a file in the
spool
> > > directory hierarchy (don't remember which subdir or file but there
> > aren't
> > > that many to check out) you just have to edit the file and zero
the
> > > counter.

> > > This can happen if the printer is offline and there are files in
its
> > > queue.  Solution make sure to turn the printer on before or
shortly
> > after
> > > spooling to it.

> > > Art S. Kagel

> > get

> > are

> > /dev/lp1"

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

lpr printing problem

Post by Lew Pitch » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Take a look in /etc/printcap for the entry that starts...
  lp:

It should have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp1
It *may* already have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp0 which should be changed.
This parameter tells lpd which physical printer (/dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1) to
print to for logical printer "lp" (the default lpr printer).

>Art:

>Thanks for your help. I can start "lpd" daemon and enable "lp" now!
>But I still can not to make the printer work. "lpc status" shows
>"Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)" (the file is
>/var/spool/lpd/status), but in fact the printer is online.  "dmesg|grep
>lp" shows "lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)". Again, I can cat files to
>/dev/lp1, but can not use "lpr". Whenever I use "lpr" to send a job to
>"lp", the printer "lp" sounds getting a request, but nothing printed
>out.

>More ideas? Please help!

>Thanks,
>John

>> > Art:

>> > Thanks for your help.

>> > I tried to use "lpc" to stop, disable the printer, but I still had
>the
>> > problem. There was no lpd process showed when I did "ps -ef" even I
>> > tried to execute lpd manually. Might it be the problem?

>> lpc start <printername>
>> lpc enable <printername>

>> should restart the daemon and enable the printer.  First poke around
>for
>> the file which contains the "waiting for lp to..." message I believe
>that
>> file has the timeout count in it.  If no it's around there.  I'll
>poke
>> myself tonight, wish I could remember the file/path.

>> Art S. Kagel

>> > Thanks,
>> > John

>> > waits
>> > minutes....
>> > years
>and
>> > kill
>> > timeout.
>spool
>> > aren't
>the

>its
>shortly
>> > after

>couldn't
>> > get

>there
>> > are

>> > /dev/lp1"

>> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> > Before you buy.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Financial Group

lpr printing problem

Post by zhang.. » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your help, Lew. But I do have "lp=/dev/lp1" in the "printcap"
file:

My /etc/printcap is:
What could be the problem?

Thanks,
JOhn

> Take a look in /etc/printcap for the entry that starts...
>   lp:

> It should have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp1
> It *may* already have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp0 which should be
changed.
> This parameter tells lpd which physical printer (/dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1)
> print to for logical printer "lp" (the default lpr printer).

> >Art:

> >Thanks for your help. I can start "lpd" daemon and enable "lp" now!
> >But I still can not to make the printer work. "lpc status" shows
> >"Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)" (the file is
> >/var/spool/lpd/status), but in fact the printer is online.
"dmesg|grep
> >lp" shows "lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)". Again, I can cat files to
> >/dev/lp1, but can not use "lpr". Whenever I use "lpr" to send a job
> >"lp", the printer "lp" sounds getting a request, but nothing printed
> >out.

> >More ideas? Please help!

> >Thanks,
> >John

> >the

> >> lpc start <printername>
> >> lpc enable <printername>

> >> should restart the daemon and enable the printer.  First poke
around
> >for
> >> the file which contains the "waiting for lp to..." message I
believe
> >that
> >> file has the timeout count in it.  If no it's around there.  I'll
> >poke
> >> myself tonight, wish I could remember the file/path.

> >> Art S. Kagel

> >and
> >spool
> >the

> >its
> >shortly

> >couldn't

> >there

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

> Lew Pitcher
> System Consultant
> Toronto Dominion Financial Group

> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

lpr printing problem

Post by zhang.. » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Are there anyone there can give me help? Thanks!

> Take a look in /etc/printcap for the entry that starts...
>   lp:

> It should have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp1
> It *may* already have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp0 which should be
changed.
> This parameter tells lpd which physical printer (/dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1)
> print to for logical printer "lp" (the default lpr printer).

> >Art:

> >Thanks for your help. I can start "lpd" daemon and enable "lp" now!
> >But I still can not to make the printer work. "lpc status" shows
> >"Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)" (the file is
> >/var/spool/lpd/status), but in fact the printer is online.
"dmesg|grep
> >lp" shows "lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)". Again, I can cat files to
> >/dev/lp1, but can not use "lpr". Whenever I use "lpr" to send a job
> >"lp", the printer "lp" sounds getting a request, but nothing printed
> >out.

> >More ideas? Please help!

> >Thanks,
> >John

> >the

> >> lpc start <printername>
> >> lpc enable <printername>

> >> should restart the daemon and enable the printer.  First poke
around
> >for
> >> the file which contains the "waiting for lp to..." message I
believe
> >that
> >> file has the timeout count in it.  If no it's around there.  I'll
> >poke
> >> myself tonight, wish I could remember the file/path.

> >> Art S. Kagel

> >and
> >spool
> >the

> >its
> >shortly

> >couldn't

> >there

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Before you buy.

> Lew Pitcher
> System Consultant
> Toronto Dominion Financial Group

> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

lpr printing problem

Post by zhang.. » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

HELP!!!

> Are there anyone there can give me help? Thanks!

> > Take a look in /etc/printcap for the entry that starts...
> >   lp:

> > It should have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp1
> > It *may* already have a parameter of lp=/dev/lp0 which should be
> changed.
> > This parameter tells lpd which physical printer (/dev/lp0 or
/dev/lp1)
> > print to for logical printer "lp" (the default lpr printer).

> > >Art:

> > >Thanks for your help. I can start "lpd" daemon and enable "lp" now!
> > >But I still can not to make the printer work. "lpc status" shows
> > >"Waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)" (the file is
> > >/var/spool/lpd/status), but in fact the printer is online.
> "dmesg|grep
> > >lp" shows "lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)". Again, I can cat files to
> > >/dev/lp1, but can not use "lpr". Whenever I use "lpr" to send a job
> > >"lp", the printer "lp" sounds getting a request, but nothing
printed
> > >out.

> > >More ideas? Please help!

> > >Thanks,
> > >John

> had
> > >the

> around
> > >for
> believe
> > >that
> > >poke

> it
> for
> printer
> > >and
> the
> > >spool
> there
> > >the

> in
> > >its
> > >shortly

> > >couldn't

> > >there

> > >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > >Before you buy.

> > Lew Pitcher
> > System Consultant
> > Toronto Dominion Financial Group

> > (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Lpr printing problems.

Hey people.

I'm having problems configuring lpr, (lpd, whatever.. ;-).

I configured my /etc/printcap file with the following lines :

# local djet870se

lp|dj|deskjet|deskjet.24|Ghostscript device deskjet.24:\
    :lp=/dev/lp1:\
    :sd=/var/spool/deskjet:\
    :lf=/var/spool/deskjet/logfile:\
    :af=/var/spool/deskjet/acct:\
    :if=/usr/local/gs5.03/filt/direct/deskjet.24/gsif:\
    :mx#0:sf:sh:rs:

But when I reboot and try to run lpr, it says :

lpr: lp: unknown printer

if I use : -P deskjet , it still says that that printer is unknown...

I verified all the directories in that configuration, and they are all
there.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

--

       -Wolf-
                    "Homo Homini Lupus"

2. Problem with ISDN - Teles 16.3 card

3. LPR Print Problem with TinyTerm Plus

4. Problems upgrading an NFS server that exports /usr

5. lpr printing problems...

6. Help: How to upgrade kernel?

7. lpr printing problem

8. Where can I download TNT2's driver for Linux?

9. Help! lpr printing problems!

10. lpr printing problem - "Connection Refused".

11. lpr printing Problem...

12. lpr printing problem

13. LPR Print Problem with TinyTerm Plus (Part 2)