Linux on Dell OptiPlex GXPro...

Post by Dan Gra » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

At work, I was just handed a 180MHz OptiPlex GXPro with 64MB RAM as an
upgrade to my 66MHz 486 with 16MB RAM. Cool huh? Except it came loaded
with WindozeNT 3.51. BOOOOOO! I want to load Linux, run Applixware, and
make all my co-workers jealous. I'm just curious to know if anyone has
successfully loaded Linux on one of these bad boyz. If so, what
distribution? I just ordered RedHat 4.0 and am anxiously awaiting its
arrival. Thanks in advance for any comments.

--
Aloha,
Dan Grady

Post by Thomas Eva » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> At work, I was just handed a 180MHz OptiPlex GXPro with 64MB RAM as an
> upgrade to my 66MHz 486 with 16MB RAM. Cool huh? Except it came loaded
> with WindozeNT 3.51. BOOOOOO! I want to load Linux, run Applixware, and
> make all my co-workers jealous. I'm just curious to know if anyone has
> successfully loaded Linux on one of these bad boyz. If so, what
> distribution? I just ordered RedHat 4.0 and am anxiously awaiting its
> arrival. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I've installed Linux on 5 different types of computers without a problem.
The key question is do you want to run X, and what kind of video card
do you have?
Regards,
--
Tom Evans

Disclaimer: My views are my own, your mileage might vary, taxes are extra, etc

1. Dell OptiPlex GXPro dual CPU system with linux

I am looking at purchasing the above system (with two Petnium Pro 200's)
and running linux on it.  I read somewhere about some problems with the
ATA-2 interface on these systems.  Do such problem still exist?  Are
there any other problems?

The best reply would be someone saying they are running Linux happily on
this system.

Please reply if you have any info.

Thanks,
Carl.
--
J. Carl Kumaradas                           Ontario Cancer Institute

2. Disconnected entry of forms and upload

3. Installing Linux on a Dell Optiplex GxPro 200

4. video card SIS6326 8mb agp

5. Dell OptiPlex GXpro 200 and LINUX

6. Kernel 2.0.32 -- Not freeing memory?

7. HELP! - LINUX on a DELL Optiplex GXpro

8. STDIN in FTP

9. Dell OptiPlex GXpro Linux problems

10. Sound for Dell Optiplex GXPro

11. Advice wanted: Dell Optiplex GXPro