ACE modem/voicemail/sound card ?

Post by Russell Nels » Mon, 05 Sep 1994 06:55:54

   I saw a product at CompUSA today that combined in one PC card:

   19,200 baud modem, fax, answering machine, 16-bit wavetable sound
   with MIDI, Panasonic CD-ROM interface and kitchen sink.

   It's made by ACE, I think.

I saw it, too.  I want to use it under Linux.  Since I doubt that they
include Linux drivers with it, I'd probably have to write my own.
Does anyone know if hardware documentation is available from the
manufacturer?  I've never heard of ACE either, so I don't know who to
ask.

--

Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?

Post by Erik Tro » Sat, 10 Sep 1994 03:26:38

>   I saw a product at CompUSA today that combined in one PC card:

>   19,200 baud modem, fax, answering machine, 16-bit wavetable sound
>   with MIDI, Panasonic CD-ROM interface and kitchen sink.

>   It's made by ACE, I think.

>I saw it, too.  I want to use it under Linux.  Since I doubt that they
>include Linux drivers with it, I'd probably have to write my own.
>Does anyone know if hardware documentation is available from the
>manufacturer?  I've never heard of ACE either, so I don't know who to
>ask.

If you look more closely, I think you'll find it's built by Best Data, and
it's called the ACE card. It's made w/ licensed Mwave technology rom IBM,
which I worked on for a while.

It's good technology, but writing a Linux driver will be non-trivial. I doubt
IBM will release the internal specs of the DSP code that you would need
to write a driver (the driver/dsp interface is medium level - lots of
work went into it). Even if you could, you'd have to write a complete real-time
preempting OS to reside on the card. No kidding. That's why if can do so
many things at once. If you're seriously interested in this, talk to
me via email, and I'll seee if I can convince IBM it's a good idea.

Look at the size of the drivers though (such as mcifax.dll). The code is pretty
complicated, but that's what gives it such good performance.

Erik

1. ACE-5000 sound card/modem: REALLY STRANGE

hi,

when i bought my system (486 IBM Blue Lightning 75Mhz, 8M RAM),
one thing i did not think of is linux compatibility (surprise!)
so.
as it is, i have an ACE-5000 soundcard/modem/telephony center
that pretty much takes care of EVERYTHING under windows, but -
a drawback - doesn't seem to work under any other operating
system - which was fine until i got interested in linux and
its capabilities!
bummer.
what i am wondering is whether there is any way one could
make the darn thing work under linux!  not so much the
soundcard but the modem, really.
if there is anyone out there who has had a similar experience,
PLEASE respond!

thanks,

ilya

---------------------
"Ye gods, why me?"
--
______________________________
"Ye gods, why me?"

2. help sed or awk task

3. Compatible? Diamond TeleCommander 3500XL Modem/Sound/VoiceMail

4. help !!! in partitioning the hard disk.....

5. how to set up a sound blaster 16 sound card and a modem for dial-in

6. Help: Monitor

7. Questions On CD-RW, Video Card, Sound Card, and Modem for AlphaLinux?

8. Raw IP Networking FAQ

9. pcmcia modem card and sound card installation problem

10. Voicemail w/out fancy modem.

11. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

12. Possible Faqs on Sound cards <I have read the Sound card How 2>

13. Voicemail, Caller ID modems