3rd+ IDE Drives

Post by Robert A. Hayd » Thu, 11 Aug 1994 10:10:52

This has been batted around a few times by others, but I haven't really
seen a difinitive answer yet to this question and thought I'd try.

I have a VLB IDE I/O card that will support two strings of IDE drives (it
has two interfaces), with the second string being able to be assinged an
inturrupt and stuff similiar to as if you dropped in a second card.

Is it possible to use a 3rd and fourth IDE drive (assuming no inturrupt
conflict)?  If so, what patches or kernels are needed (I'm running 1.1.13
with the IDE Performance patch)?  I haven't upgraded to a kernel >1.1.13
yet because I haven't had the need to, but that is a simple (in theory)
enough procedure.  NOTE:  This system DOES NOT have DOS installed on it,
so solutions cannot require DOS.

If relevant, the is the other equipment on the system:
        2 Caviar 420MB IDE Drives
        Colorado Floppy Tape
        SB16 MCD w/ Mitsumi 2x CDRom
        486-66 w/ 16MB (AMI BIOS)
        NE2k Ethernet

Thanks for your time.

--

\  /__          -=-=-=-=-          <=>          -=-=-=-=-
 \/  /  Finger for Geek Code Info  <=> I do not necessarily speak for the

3rd+ IDE Drives

Post by Ian McCloghr » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 10:06:28

>addresses and IRQs (if you don't mind cutting traces...).  By looking at the
>mods that atdisk2 does to the hd.c driver, it should be relatively easy to add
>a hd2.c etc. for more drives.

As I recall, hacking a card to use a different IRQ is easy, much
easier than hacking it to use a different port.  Since there's only
two 'standard' AT-style disk port addresses, this makes it difficult
to use more than two ('cause you'd have to find a card that allowed
*really* weird addresses).  Actually, consdering the trivial amounts
of circuitry that it takes to make an IDE bus interface, it oughta be
fairly simple to BUILD one that you could put wherever you liked...

--
____
\bi/  Ian McCloghrie      | FLUG:  *MUCK Linux User's Group

GCS (!)d-(--) p c++ l++(+++) u+ e- m+ s+/+ n+(-) h- f+ !g w+ t+ r y*

The above represents my personal opinions and not necessarily those
of my employer, Qualcomm Inc.

3rd+ IDE Drives

Post by Christopher M. M » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 05:13:25

: Is it possible to use a 3rd and fourth IDE drive (assuming no inturrupt
: conflict)?  If so, what patches or kernels are needed (I'm running 1.1.13
: with the IDE Performance patch)?  I haven't upgraded to a kernel >1.1.13

Well, I use a second IDE controller with kernel 1.1.23, which
patched cleanly with:

/pub/Linux/kernel/patches/diskdrives/atdisk2-ide2.diff.gz

from sunsite.unc.edu.

As far as I can tell, this should work for you too.
--

-Chris May, Computer Science, University of MA, Amherst
-       Technical Assistant, P.C. Maintenance Lab

3rd+ IDE Drives

Post by Steve Haus » Fri, 12 Aug 1994 09:41:36

Quote:>This has been batted around a few times by others, but I haven't really
>seen a difinitive answer yet to this question and thought I'd try.
>I have a VLB IDE I/O card that will support two strings of IDE drives (it
>has two interfaces), with the second string being able to be assinged an
>inturrupt and stuff similiar to as if you dropped in a second card.
>Is it possible to use a 3rd and fourth IDE drive (assuming no inturrupt
>conflict)?  If so, what patches or kernels are needed (I'm running 1.1.13
>with the IDE Performance patch)?  I haven't upgraded to a kernel >1.1.13
>yet because I haven't had the need to, but that is a simple (in theory)
>enough procedure.  NOTE:  This system DOES NOT have DOS installed on it,
>so solutions cannot require DOS.

I'm using the atdisk2 patch to support two additional AT style hard drives.
Although I have two separate controllers, it would be no different from your
setup.  All you have to know is what IRQ the secondary controller is tied to.
Be glad that you won't have to break out the soldering iron :-)

Actually, you could have more than 4 IDE/AT drives in your system.  All you
have to do is add more controllers and hack them so they use unique I/O
addresses and IRQs (if you don't mind cutting traces...).  By looking at the
mods that atdisk2 does to the hd.c driver, it should be relatively easy to add
a hd2.c etc. for more drives.

Of course this is only useful if you happen to have the hardware lying around
(as I did).  A SCSI bus or bigger drives would certainly be better bang for
the buck if you actually have to buy hardware.

1. Two-channel ide controllers + 3rd ide drive?

I'm going to be getting a 3rd ide drive in about a week, and I would like
to know if the dual-channel ide controllers are supported. (ie, those that
have two masters and two slaves.)  Also, if they are indeed supported, are
ALL of them supported, or just some?  The one I'm looking at getting is a cheap
no-name clone one.

Lastly, how do I make the /hdc devices?  I know how to use mknod, but I don't
konw how to determine the major and minor numbers of the 3rd drive.

(Please respond via email, as our news disk tends to overflow, and news posts
are only kept for a day.)

2. CD-Rom RH5.0

3. Installing Slackware 2.1 onto the 3rd IDE drive

4. unknown compat mode

5. Help Mounting 3rd IDE drive on a single KT410A EIDE controller

6. Help: proxy-ISP

7. 3rd IDE drive recognition?

8. HotSaNIC problem (traffic does not scale)

9. Installing Linux on 3rd IDE drive

10. Can't get 3rd IDE drive running!

11. Problem w/ 3rd IDE drive

12. Can OS/2 bootman boot linux from 3rd IDE drive ?

13. Linux on 3rd IDE Drive?